grant, Home Buyer in Mobile, AL

I know getting insurance on a condo on the beach is very expensive now. What can I expect to pay for ins. on a $104,000 condo on the beach?

Asked by grant, Mobile, AL Sun Oct 9, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Rodney Mason’s answer
If you are purchasing a condo, then the exterior insurance policy will be handled by the community's HOA. You will pay for the annual insurance premiuim as part fo your monthly HOA dues. Most HOA's insurance policies only cover the exterior of the building. Both Fannie Mae and FHA now require an HO-6 policy that covers the interior of each unit if the master HOA does not cover it. The HO-6 policy is the home owner's responsibility and its also known as a "walls in" policy.

You would have to contact an insurance company to give you an accurate quote for what you need. Sicne you are on the water, the there are more variables that only an insurance agent can assit you with.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Conventional | FHA | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® |
HomePath® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
This is best addressed by a local insurance let me disclose that I am NOT an insurance professional, nor am I an attorney...I am a licensed real estate broker, located in Gulf Shores, AL. However, based on my understanding, when AL rewrote its condo statutes in 1991, the new statutes required all condos in a "stacked" configuration, incorporating after 1991, to carry what is known as an "all-in" endorsement in the master policy bought by the condo's HomeOwner Association (HOA.) This endorsement includes coverage for the interior, private elements (units) " they were on the day the developer first conveyed them..." for lack of a better way to explain it. That coverage would insure flooring, ceiling, walls cabinets, appliances, etc and any "upgraded finishes" that the developer installed, against covered claims. So, furniture and furnishings and subsequent-owner upgrades are not covered. However, Condo HOA's incorporated before 1991 are "grandfathered" and so are not required to take out this all-in endorsement; likewise for all "non-stacked" condos (townhomes, duplexes, etc. which do not have one unit "stacked" on top of another.). Most do, though, as the product was made available in Alabama as a result of the change in statutes, it has been more economical than requiring each owner to carry his or her own interior insurance, and when it comes time for a claim, it is a lot easier to have one adjuster than 100, often with competing claims. So,you should check with the HOA Manager of the condo you are considering and see whether or not the condo association in question carries the all-in endorsement and how the insurance premium is collected from the owners (in their monthly "dues," or in a separate, annual "insurance assesment;") then speak with an insurance agent about "renter's style" insurance if you wish to supplement it...furnishings, liability, loss of use, building (for damages to your unit caused by you, renters or guests which would not be covered by the all-in endorsement) and so on. These policies (known most commonly as "HO=6 Forms") can run anywhere from $700-2000/yr based on coverage limits and unit situation. Some owners "self-insure" for contents and such, but purchase liability insurance if their primary homeowner's policy won't extend to the cond, and/or if they rent...liablility can run from $300-500 or more per year, depending upon carrier, loss history, coverage limits and other pertinent underwriting variables. It has been my experience that the market in Property and Casuatly Insurance for beach condominiums has softened, with premiums coming down significantly since 2006. These policies are written from the commercial, "surplus lines" market, and natural market forces have come into play there, resulting in competition, which in turn, has moderated pricing.. This commercial market is a different market than that which typically writes policies for single-family dwellings...that latter market remains hard as a rock, as there is virtually no competition there...the majors (State Farm, AllState, Nationwide, ALFA, etc) have all left that matket, and so there are limited places to find windstorm coverage for a beachfront house or duplex. So, if you are considering a beach condo, discussion should be had with the HOA or its manager about the extent of coverage provided by the HOA's master policy, how much it is and when/how it is collected; and with a qualified insurance professional in terms of what additional coverage you will require to be able to sleep at night, but not break the bank. Such discussions could be faciliated by a knowledgeable local real estate agent as part of your search and purchase decision-making...that's what we're for, after all. Please note that this discussion is intended to relate to ALABAMA condominiums only, and, as always, this information is deemed reliable, but not warranted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
Great detailed answer!! I think I learned something today.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
Contact a few local insurance companies and ask for free quotes based on your needs, then go from there...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer