Market Conditions in 20901>Question Details

M. Kaplowitz, Other/Just Looking in Silver Spring, MD

I just received a tax assessment increasing my home value by 13% (50K) in zip code 20901. I purchased the

Asked by M. Kaplowitz, Silver Spring, MD Thu Feb 7, 2008

home in June 2006 and the home value was reassessed (increased) at that point. Do I have grounds for appeal as the market has taken a downturn since then and because my home was already reassessed in June 2006?

Answers

3
You can appeal to the county but don't delay! It can be a lot of work but could be worth it if your home is truly under valued.
You have 60 days from the time of the assessment to file an appeal. The county is receiving many reqqests so it is taking a while to hear back so be patient but persistent.
If they ask for comparables let me know and I can get them for you.

I have a client in a similar situation so we contacted the Montgomery County Office of Assessments. Due to the market slowdown, many properties in the county as assessed at a rate much higher than the current market will bear. You can appeal to the County to have your property reassessed this year and an adjustment made to your FY2010 property taxes.