Market Conditions in 33256>Question Details

Judith, Home Buyer in Miami, FL

I am wanting to purchase a house and have no representation - I do not like many things in the GFE and ....

Asked by Judith, Miami, FL Thu Jun 19, 2008

the purchase documents. Such as they want a $5000 deposit for a $157,000 condo!

Answers

10
Good morning Judith. There are many variables that can affect the terms of your offer, such as - length of time property has been on the market, how realistic the asking price is, how realistic your offer is, which contract is being used, what addendums are being used, if it's a short sale or foreclosure, how motivated the seller is, what the clauses and addendums of the contract mean, as well as numerous other things. You could probably work hard to get most of the answers or pay some one to get the answers for you. But why not just use an experienced Realtor that knows what he or she is doing. It doesn't cost you anything and more often than not can save you a lot of money purchasing your home.

One of the standard sales contracts changed in April of 2007 and I took a six hour course just learning the differences between the new revised contract and the old contract, and I do this for a living. So for the average consumer that buys a house every five or so years, there are many mistakes that could be made. As a Realtor, every day I see buyers using the wrong Realtors and making minor mistakes on the sales contract and losing thousands of dollars. Everything on the contract is there for a reason. In most cases, depending on how it is filled out, it can benefit the buyer or the seller.

As far as the Good Faith Estimate (GFE), I would strongly suggest you deal with a direct lender. Mortgage brokers are great sometimes but sometimes they are not. It is just luck of the draw unless you know the person or have references on that person. Also, to a seller, the finance approval from a direct lender looks a lot stronger than one from a mortgage broker. That is why many times on short sales and foreclosures, the bank (the seller) requires an approval from a direct lender.

Coldwell Banker Home Loans does not charge any junk fees as they are called. I would strongly suggest you call them up at (888) 205-1122 and compare the GFE they give you with the GFE that you have. Good luck with your purchase!

If you need more help, you can visit the award winning website, http://www.DadeCountyMLS.com, and my real estate blog at http://www.AmitsBlog.com.
Web Reference: http://www.AmitsBlog.com
You certainly should affiliate yourself with an agent, or a real estate attorney because there are many more aspects of the sales contract that could get you into trouble later on such as various timeframe commitments, and repair limits.....

Lately because sellers are so concerned about folks not being able to get a mortgage, or not liking an inspection report, etc, and hence walking away from a small earnest money, they are asking for more down upfront.

But because it is a buyers market, you certainly should be able to put down $1,000 and after you have an executed contract (meaning the seller has accepted all of your terms and you agree to all of theirs) you could put another $2,000 or $3,000 down and that be enough.

Nevertheless, you need representation and you can just pick an agent at any time and have them represent you. You can pay the agent the commission yourself, or negotiate a commission, or have the seller pay it and if they want to sell the house enough, they will.

Or just take the contract to a real estate attorney and you will have to pay to have all steps in the negotiations go through that individuals for you.

On no account, sign a contract without having an independent set of eyes, eyes that are trained, work with you. My girlfriend decided she would go it alone and ultimately she lost her earnest money due. She swears she will have an agent for the next offer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 19, 2008
Good morning Judith. Having a good amount as a deposit just makes your offer stronger. If the sellers have two similar offers and one of the offers has a $1000 deposit and the other a $5000. The seller will probably consider the offer with the most money on escrow. Also taking in consideration all of the other terms of the contract. They know that most people are not willing to lose $5000, but we see it all the time, buyers backing our and willing to lose $1000. The price of the condo or home has nothing to do with the deposit. There is no set amount for a deposit. But the bigger, the stronger the offer. You also need to consider all terms stated on the contract. Inspections, Repairs, Mold Inspections, Financing and bank requirements. If you have any other question, contact us by email or visit our website.
Web Reference: http://www.forsaleagent.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 19, 2008
Good afternoon, Judith! First off, I fully agree with everyone who suggested that you hire a Realtor or a real etstate attorney. As Amit noted, a professional Realtor does not cost you anything yet you will have benefit of their experience and advice.

Second, I agree again with Amit when he advised you to contact Coldwell Banker Home Loans. CBHL does not charge lender fees which will save you quite a bit of money in your total closing costs. They also have hundreds of loan programs to choose from and excellent guarantees to you as the borrower.

Now my question to you: When you indicate that they want a $5000 'deposit', have you clarified with them whether this is your 'downpayment' or actually the 'deposit'? These refer to entirely different things. Your downpayment is who much of your own cash you are putting towards the purchase (not including costs to close). $5000 is approximately 3% of the $157,000 purchase price you mentioned, and this would be about the smallest downpayment possible in today's market.

Your 'deposit', on the other hand, is the amount you put into escrow at the start of the transaction to ensure that you will complete the purchase. As others have noted, the higher the deposit, the more secure the Seller will be about your offer, but unless the Seller has already made it a requirement of sale, it does not have to be $5000. Moreover, your deposit is not in addition to your downpayment and closing costs. It is simply a part of the amount of cash you will need to complete the transaction anyway.

Again, I strongly recommend that you sit down with a Realtor or a real estate attorney who can go over the documents you have. We can explain and advise you as to each item that is causing you concern. If I can help further, please do not hesitate to call me at 305-801-3133
Get representation. You need an advocate.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Judith, please feel free to contact me at (786)316-3163. I will be pleased to serve you.
Judith,
I think my collegue Amit summed it all up. There is really not much to add to this excellent answer. Just in case you like to work with a woman please go to my website where you will find detailed information about me, my background, my family and my qualifications.
Manon
Hello Judith,
I'll be happy to work with you. You should not purchase a home or conduct ANY real estate transaction without some sort of professional representation and negotiations on your behalf.
Feel free to contact me at 786-205-1133.
Judith: The amount of deposit has many variables. If the condo you are looking at has many offers on the table then you would want to make your offer as aggressive as possible, one of the factors whcih may show strength is a sizable down payment. With the market in the conditions it is in I have found that my sellers are not a black and white as they once were with determining the best offer (meaning the most money); instead they are also looking at the buyers ability to close , the finance contingency and the down payment amount. The $5000 you put down represents roughly 3% of the purchase price. I would have several questions such as: How much do you plan on financing of the sale price. I would also like to know the exact address of the unit to see if the sellers are aggressively priced enough. Fell free to contactg me should you have any questions or if you feel I may be of assistance.
Web Reference: http://www.arealtyteam.com
Judith my teammate and I Mirlan Saad and Jose Castillo would be happy to help we cover both miami-dade and broward counties, if you contact me i give try and help you through the purchase doc's and negotiate on your behalf you can reach me at 954-240-3940 thnaks and hope to hear from you soon.
Web Reference: http://www.JoseSellsFL.com