Kt, Other/Just Looking in Dallas, TX

I am going to DCAD to get the appraised price of my home lowered, what documents should I take?

Asked by Kt, Dallas, TX Tue Apr 7, 2009

I am on to DCAD to get the appraised price of my home lowered, what documents do you suggest I take with me to prove my home value has decreased?

Answers

6
The right to protest your appraised property value is the most important right you have as a taxpayer. You can easily do it yourself or hire a company to protest for you. I have successfully appealed and gotten my tax bill lowered twice. So if you feel your property assessment is too high, go to this site for the steps to appeal.

http://lydiaplayer.blogspot.com/2008/03/challenging-your-pro…
Web Reference: http://dallasagentblog.com
You need to take evidence of why DCAD should lower your taxes.
CMA of recent sales and listings.
Traffic counts if you are in an undesirable location.
Lot values if your lot is less desirable than others.
Pictures that show conditions of the houses and that yours is in worse shape than others.
Can be lots of reasons yours is less valuable than others in the neighborhood, you just need to take documented proof to the appraiser and a good argument. Could be every house in the neighborhood is new and yours is 50 years old? Could be everyone has 3 car and you have 2, or everyone has a pool and you don't. Things like that.

Good luck and let us know what works for you and if you get your value lowered.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
In my past dealings with appraisers at DCAD, I've learned they only care about home sales that occurred before January 1 of 2009. That is the date of their appraised value, and they don't care about anything that happened later. We real estate agents are trained to use the latest "sold comparables" when they do a CMA, but this is one time the very latest sales won't be admitted into evidence.

I presume you are talking to one of the appraisers on this visit. Whatever deal he offers you, you have the right to demand a hearing in front of a panel if you don't like his offer.
a cma from a realtor could help your case if it shows sales in the past 6 months to year that are lower. Also something you can do on your own through dcads website is search homes on your street and surrounding neighborhood that are comparable to yours that have lower assessed values. email me your address and i can send you a cma.

RJ
Web Reference: http://www.findapadfast.com
This is the assessed value, tax assessor value, which is what each County Appraisal District here uses to assess the home's tax base, is separate and distinctly different than the appraisal value, which is assessed by a home appraiser. From your post, it sounds like what you want is the tax assessed value lowered. A comparative market analysis, and even an appraiser's value might help. Good luck, I know it has helped people in the past. Your Realtor community works hard at fighting tax values for you through our monthly financial contributions to National Assoc. of REALTORS and the lobbying we as a large group do on homeowner's behalf. If you decide to sell in the future, be sure to hire a REALTOR, I would be happy to help you further!
Ask a local Realtor to provide you with a Comparative Market Analysis.

Good Luck,
Dennis.Anderson@century21.com