Dr. Phil Mos…, Both Buyer and Seller in Fairfax, Virginia (for...

I already own my land near Roseburg Oregon. What is the average price per square foot for building? My wife

Asked by Dr. Phil Moser, Fairfax, Virginia (for Melrose, Oregon) Tue Mar 11, 2008

is an architect, so she will design it and server as own contractor, subbing out the work.

Answers

2
The "average" cost for building a home in the Roseburg area, not including contractor profit, real estate commission, loan fees and other soft costs should be around $85 per foot for a single level home of average quality. This number does not include things like a sand filter septic (getting more and more common) or a very deep well...those are variables which apply to any rural property, which would include Melrose. I've been involved with both builders and buyers for over 25 years and will state that any sq ft number is false from the start, unless tied to a specific plan, as every plan has it's quirks and added costs.
I notice that you are in Virginia at present...as an architect, your wife will certainly be eligible and qualified to act as your contractor, but it would seem to me that local knowledge of subs and suppliers would have a great amount of value, even if only on a consultant basis. I am not offering my services for that task, but would be happy to recommend a couple of qualified builders.
Dr. Phil....
Not to be vague, but Price per Square Foot is Totally based upon your "style of home and standard of liviing"

Congratulations on coming to Oregon! I lived in Roseburg in first grade and still have family in the SW hills.

Will you have 10 foot ceilings and lots of nooks and built-ins? Granite Counters, Hard wood floors, etc....

Best advice is to look at other New Construction Homes in the Roseburg area...determine which homes fit your style and subtract the "value" of their land and any commissions involved.

Best wishes on your new home! I drew my own home plans back in 1990 and had it built in 1991. It was a wonderful experience!

Donna (Clarke) Seale

Your Trusted Advisor ... Working by Referral tm

Donna (Clarke) Seale
Oregon e-Certified, Principal Broker
Windermere / Willamette Valley
(541) 936-4711 Direct
donnaseale@realtor.com
http://www.midvalleyhomes.com

Oh, By the way...I'm never too busy for your referrals and would love to help your families, friends & co-workers with their homeowner dreams.