Market Conditions in 07093>Question Details

Ibs, Home Buyer in 07093

Hudson County/ West New York, NJ 2008 re taxes up by 14%!

Asked by Ibs, 07093 Mon Dec 22, 2008

I was just informed by the WNY, NJ tax assessor's office the the 2008 re taxes went up 14% Is this legal? Has anyone else in Hudson County or Bergen County been hit by large tax increases? I understood that historically taxes in this area went up by 3-6% a year.

Answers

7
Appeal the taxes, I did and just got a great reduction. Most property. if not ALL in West New York is over valued. Got an attorney to appeal the taxes for me and got $1000 reduction off the annual taxes.
We have a new mayor coming into WNY who promises to reduce property taxes. And the previous mayor got the taxes to stabilize in the past 2 years which was already a plus. WNY is really looking up!
You must work for the town!!!! Or be a relative
Flag Wed May 29, 2013
i would just google news for keywords combinations like "west new york" + "tax hike" + "protest". also watch the news from channel 41 and channel 47.

here are two example from my keyword searchs:
http://rafaelmartel.com/2009/02/11/residents-of-west-new-yor…
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/westny/index.ssf?/base/news-…
Thanks for the tip tony. I will be in Chicago on a business trip. How can I keep informed of the activities? I live on the waterfront and we seem to be isolated from the main town. I didn't even get the letter about the increase.
did you goto the protest today outside the townhall? a lot of people was there, shouting "sal vegas out" and "no more tax increase".

there is going to be another town hall meeting on Feb 18, 2009. 7pm. be there!

tony z
14% was just for 2008. I heard Hoboken went up 47% in 2008. Ko, are you in WNY as well? I didn't get a letter. I just got a preliminary bill that concerned me (the 2009 change may be 50% increase!). If these are the increases going forward the towns in Hudson County are going to have a fight on their hands! Does anyone know of any organizations or groups that are fighting these criminal increases? If not, I may start one myself.
Only 14%? Just got a letter from the mayor announcing a 27% RE tax hike. Especially during current tough economic times & lower home values, a 27% hike seems criminal. Any one know what are our options to fight this tax increase? Thanks,