Trulia San J…, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

How will the new football stadium affect surrounding neighborhoods?

Asked by Trulia San Jose, San Jose, CA Wed Feb 6, 2013

Is the area equipped to handle the the prospective traffic?

Answers

3
No one can know for certain how the stadium will affect the surrounding neighbors. We DO know, that it will affect the neighborhoods, but as to increasing property values, I'm dubious. A similar statement was made about Shoreline, and, in reality, the opposite has actually occurred. While people support the teams and like the idea of a "stadium" within close proximity to the home, most eschew the idea of a stadium, noise, games, traffic, congestion, litter, people and lighting so close to the home. We call this the "NIMBY" (Not In My Back Yard) syndrome in which home owners want the benefits, but not the associated environment with such a venue.

As for infrastructure, the City has not, in my mind, adequately addressed the problem the will accompany the parking and noise. I have read the CEQA report in which the environmental experts do feel that there will not be noticeable environmental impact, but one only has to attend an evening of fireworks at Great America or be at a crowded conference in the area to know that the surface streets and lights are not yet prepared for an influx of 20-40,000 additional vehicles. I'm sure it will be addressed over time, but there will undoubtedly be growing pains, and I'm glad I'm way over here in Sunnyvale so that I won't personally be impacted by the stadium when it does arrive.

So right now...no, the area is not prepared for the stadium or the impact associated with the stadium activities. However, when the stadium is fully operational, given the information noted with the plans, I have no doubt that the situation will not be ideal, but will certainly be manageable.
The general question was asked on Jan 17 by 12eagle24 then was removed after receiving 9 answers.

21,000 parking places - A major event causes a surge in traffic which will not be completely handled. Driving by Shoreline Park when there is a concert provides a nearby example. The new stadium appears to have more freeway entry/exit points but adding 20,000 cars to existing traffic will surely cause traffic problems.

Recent years have had decreased jobs which in turn reduced traffic. Silicon Valley was recently ranked #1 for economic growth. Traffic will increase with growth.
http://julianalee.com/blog/selling-a-home/rising-home-prices…

As for the more general question about affects on neighborhoods: The stadium will probably have different affects on different people. Young people who want excitement and aren't worried about "urban" traffic density may be attracted. Families who want to have a peaceful home and few traffic problems won't be attracted. On the whole it will probably put a slight drag on single family homes but could create additional demand from buyers with special interests.

Juliana Lee
Top 3 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 home sales in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
There will always be a certain amount of inconvenience when a LARGE number of people converge on the area. Good News, it's only 8 games a year. Mostly on Sundays.

Extra good news, property values will increase. And, who knows, maybe you can charge $20 for Parking in your driveway (wink, wink).