Nick, Other/Just Looking in West Somerville, MA

How much can I charge for rent for a two bdrm apartment in West Somerville, MA.?

Asked by Nick, West Somerville, MA Sun Mar 23, 2008

This is the downstairs apartment in a two family house in West Somerville near Tufts University. It is approx 950 sq ft. The only renovation done was the kitchen and a facelift to the bathroom. The closest bus stop is 1/4 mile, the redline is about a mile away (Davis). There is no off street parking but parking is rarely a problem. Washer/Dryer in basement. Quiet neighborhood.

Answers

5
You can take a look at rentbits.com within the Somerville area to see what others are charging.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 24, 2008
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 24, 2008
Lack of parking is a big negative, especially if you are trying to rent it now. The roads are a mess. You are almost a mile from the Red line, which is also a negative. I think $1400 is too much, unless you get really lucky. I think $1200 is more like it.
I would look for similar rentals on Craig’s list or in the Somerville Journal. I know you can find Craig’s list on your own. The Journal link is below.
Sorry if I am raining on your parade!
Barbara is right on. Also check out http://www.zilpy.com, which is kinda like Zillow for rentals.
A 2 bedroom 5 room layout with livingroom, diningroom, kitchen and 2 bedrooms (typical W. Som 2 fam layout) in good condition should rent for $1400, price up or down considering condition. If the w/d are for exclusive use of first floor you may add $50, if not coin op. Not to sound just like everyone else but many factors affect the rental amount, such as time of year, type of tenant you hope to attract, your unit's explosure to propective tenants,etc.... Hope this helps and I would will willing to discuss this further with you
Barbara Smith
Cambridge
Web Reference: http://kw.com