Market Conditions in Omaha>Question Details

Richard, Other/Just Looking in Big Rapids, MI

How much are the property taxes in the Omaha, NE area?

Asked by Richard, Big Rapids, MI Sat Feb 23, 2008

Answers

10
Omaha is on the verge of decline. Why? Our real estate tax structure is simply not friendly to the home owner. Our motor vehicle tax is not friendly to the auto owner. In fact, the aforementioned taxes are almost 4 times higher than Iowa. Declining home values have not been reflected in our tax base yet. However, when they do I am sure the mill levy will increase dramatically.
We have high sales and income taxes. We have state fees attached to almost every aspect of every business that did not exist some 10 years ago.
Why has all the above happened? We have a unicameral and local government that cannot stop spending. As examples I will use
1. the recent health care package passed by the Douglas County Board. They added botox treatments for excessive sweating, massage, and acupuncture to the health care package of Douglas County employees when many voters cannot even afford basic health care insurance.
2. Omaha police and fire have a retirement package that allows many to retire in their 40's with retirement benefits that are commony close to six figures per year because they were allowed to spike their hours before retirement.
3. The latest fiasco involves legislation by the unicameral that allows anyone from anywhere in the US to abandon their minor child, regardless of age, in Nebraska at the taxpayers expense.
We have incompetent management at all levels of government in Nebraska with a system that is mostly interested in self propagation.
In spite of the massive increase in law enforcement presence, we have murder rate in Omaha that is very high.
If I had a choice, I would NEVER relocate in Nebraska.
I grew up in Nebraska. Nebraska is a Great state to live in! Especially the smaller towns are extremely welcoming. More common sense government going in Nebraska than some other states in our nation! I'm proud to claim
Nebraska! Omaha is Not typical of most of Nebraska towns. Omaha is a metro area like any other big cities. Omaha is not a bad place, just not the same as smaller towns. Nebraska girl thru & thru!
Flag Thu Jun 21, 2012
Omaha property taxes vary, depending on which neighborhood you purchase in. As a REALTOR, when I have a buyer, I will look up the mill levy for each neighborhood the homes they are interested in are located and then I calculate what the probable tax rate will be for each home. Caution, some taxes listed on websites are exceptionally low and that is probably due to the homes not being fully assessed yet because they are new construction. Never choose your home solely based on the taxes, get the advice of a professional REALTOR! I would love to help you!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 16, 2008
I just had to answer this with a warning....in Nebraska we refer to our state as the "Tax Me" State. We have 7.5% sales tax, high real estate taxes, state income tax, and ridiculous motor vehicle taxes. That said, it's hard to find a better city to raise a family. ALL our schools are good, especially Millard & District 66 (aka: Westside.) We rarely suffer from economic swings like the rest of the county. Mostly, the people here are GOOD people. Friendly, too. :) Then there is the weather..... LOLOL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Me again. . . moving in the spring to a friendlier area of the country for retirees; South Carolina. Property taxes are about 1/4 of what they are here, weather is better, and there are things to do besides eat and have kids. Schools aren't as good, but my kids are grown and gone, so I could care less. I will not miss Nebraska. FYI: It is about 8 below zero this morning NOT counting the wind chill.
do you paid half price for house taxes at age 70 year old
is house tax cheat at age 70
You can check the property tax of any Omaha property in Douglas county at http://www.dcassessor.org or for homes in Sarpy county at http://www.sarpy.com.

I agree with Dean's assessment of Omaha. Omaha is a great place to live, we have lower crime than the national avarage, and our unemployment rate is just 4.3% (http://activerain.com/blogs/ttrumm).
Web Reference: http://www.TrummTeam.com
I disagree with Jim's assessment of Omaha. I enjoy living here and intend to call it home for the rest of my life.
Omaha is not in a state of decline. It is taking its rightful place as a progressive city and is gaining national recognition. I appreciate how city government, businesses, universities and the ordinary citizen work together to try to solve major problems facing many communities.
The "safe haven" law may appear to be a fiasco but it sure need suface problems faced by families across the nation. Problems that can't be ignored.
I agree that greed is a problem in our government and society. But who among us doesn't take advantage of a situation when it presents itself?
Our taxes are high and they drive me crazy,too. But, on the other hand, Nebraskans are willing to pay their own way. We do have a balanced budget with a surplas. This means we will not be going to the Federal government begging for a "bail out" like some other states are proposing to do.
We do have problems. That is why an vigilant citizenry is, essential to freedom. If we don't greedy powerful
people will rule the day.
Thanks for the opportunity to share my point of view.
Dean Uhing
Prudential Ambassador Real Estate
Hi Richard,
Omaha, Nebraska is located in Dougls County. You can check the current taxes for any property by using the following website: http://www.dcassessor.org . Click on "Valuation Lookup" and type in an address. Great
website for determinining assessed values, last purchase date, similar sales.
If your destination is Omaha, NE, we welcome you to our city.
Dean Uhing
Prudential Ambassador Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.dcassessor.org
Great question, In general the property taxes are 2.0 to 2.6% of the assessors value. If you would like to know more, please email me at mark@housesinomaha.com