Market Conditions in 08540>Question Details

Atul, Home Buyer in Princeton, NJ

How is Princeton Landing? The TH there seems to be expensive but they look good on paper. Any experiences?

Asked by Atul, Princeton, NJ Tue May 27, 2008

I commute to NYC for work (Grand Central area) and cannot decide if I should look for TH near Exit 8 A (Summerfield, Dayton or Windsor Meadow, East Windsor) or Princeton Junction. Do you guys have any other community or neighborhood to suggest which does not take more than 10 min to commute to the Park and Ride or nearest bus stop / train station? My requirement is a 3 bed, 2 baths TH with basement and Garage. All these things are must.

Most of the places I have looked the Condo / Association fee and the Property taxes are a killer. I am not looking to shell out more than $ 3000 p.m. on my TH (includes mortgage, association fee and property taxes) with a 10 %down payment. Please help.

Answers

11
Hi Atul. I have been a resident of Princeton Landing for more than 20 years. My husband bought the Cargegie model in 1985. We have made many improvements and upgrades, but we are selling because we have three homes and just do not need the one on Sayre Drive. The monthly fees are $425, but that that includes care on everything out of doors, trash and recycle pick up, total care of the grounds which are very well kept. It is a great community for someone who commutes to the City and travels for business by train or plane. The train station is ten minutes away, Philadelphia airport a little over an hour and Newark an hour or less. It has the advantage of being a private neighborhood without the increased cost of a 24 hour security gate. It is just a matter of 1. what you want, and 2. how much you are willing to pay each month. I still think it's the best place in the Princeton area for the money.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
Atul, if you are still interested in Princeton Landing there is a blog you should check out. The URL is http://princetonlandingnews.blogspot.com/ . It's a newsletter done by residents that will give you a better idea of what it's like living there than you're likely to get from a website put up by a realtor or a homeowners association. The same people have a related blog that's less "newsy" and more of an overview. That one is at http://princetonlanding.blogspot.com/ .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2008
Princeton Landing is the best bang for the buck in the area, and I say that as a New Yorker who moved here and still works in NY. You are paying $400 a month vs. $200 in other communities because this one has the nicest curb appeal. The landscaping is lush, everyone has mature and unique trees in front of their homes. This is also one of the safest townhome communities you will ever see in NJ. This is due in part to the fact that the community is landlocked and is only accessible via Route 1 (note that you can't actually see or hear the highway from any of the homes). It is also due to the fact that the $7000 in property taxes will keep the riffraff out. There is no state-mandated "affordable housing" in this community as some other communities may have. Now is actually a good time to buy, as the inventory look plentiful, and there are even a couple of 3BR available (note 1 of the bedrooms is really small). With the right opportunity, you could probably get one for around $420,000 and assume you may have to spend another $10-15,000 to update the bathrooms or kitchen. In around 3 years, the property value here will soar, as they are building the new Princeton Medical Center nearby on Route 1, slated for a 2011 opening. At that point, there will be lots of MDs and nurses clamoring for a coveted home in the luxurious and conveniently- located Princeton Landing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 30, 2008
Actually have you looked into East Brunswick? Many people commute to NYC from there by bus. The cool thing is that you hop onto the bus and then fall asleep.
I am looking into Princeton Landing too, which is very nice, and unique, but the association fee is very steep ($400 easily per month). Most of the units have 2 master suits, the 3 bedrooms ones feels a bit smaller, and the tax is easliy $7K a year. Actually, townhouses (with garage and basement) price in surrounding communities are very closed to this $350K-$400K range. Montgomery has spacious townhouses (but not as unique as Princeton Landing) too, but I don't think the commute will be fun. So you can only save $ by picking one with lower property tax and/or association fee.
Check the Asbury Park Press APP Data Universe for property tax and transaction record - I find it to be a very useful tool. http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=data
You can also go to the West-Windsor/Plainsboro bulletin board http://www.wwptoday.com - and type "commute to NYC" on its search box for local advice/experience in related topics (e.g. train parking etc.). Unfortunately this WWP seems to be the only forum for this area (I cannot find a similar forum for South Brunswick.)
Honestly if I were you (I mean, if you haven't lived in this area before), I would not buy now but to rent for a year first. Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 22, 2008
Hi Atul, Princeton Landing is a great community , but i dont think based on your criteria it will fit the bill. I do however recommend looking in the Dayton area. The commute will be alittle easier for you to train, park/ride etc. Also another communtiy maybe Princeton walk in addition to Summerfield, or even Monmouth walk. let me know if I can assist in any other way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 27, 2008
I have been selling homes in Princeton Landing for over a decade, with more than 115 homes sold to date. I also currently reside in this extremely popular development. As you will see, I am not only a realtor, but a very proud owner.

There are plenty of choices, ranging from condo apartments to large single family homes, in the price range from $200K to $700K. Princeton Landing boasts with so many different models and floor plans, sometimes it is difficult for a buyer to distinguish between the differences without Professional expertise. There is so much to learn, since every model has different floor plans, square footage and price.

My years of experience as a neighborhood specialist have helped many buyers find their perfect home. Many of my clients who sell in Princeton Landing do it so they can move to a different model in Princeton Landing, and those that move away often come back.

If you have any questions, please give me a call and I would be more than happy to provide you with floor models and give you an excursion through our Princeton Landing!

The Princeton Landing community is abundant with amenities of a 5-star resort; two swimming pools, four tennis courts, a basketball court, a clubhouse and numerous walking paths. Those looking for an active lifestyle will find what they need here and those searching to escape from the hustle and bustle can enjoy the fact that the people you see by your home on a day to day basis are mostly your neighbors. And just when it seems as if you would never want to leave this enclosed haven if you lived here, you realize that it comes with a priceless perk, its proximity to Princeton.

Every parcel has a different monthly fee. Our maintenance fee covers all exteriors including: decks, roofs, walls, common areas and a huge portion of our maintenance fee goes to our Award Winning landscaping.
If it is big city experience that you seek without wanting to live in one, two of America’s greatest cities are at your service. Both New York and Philadelphia are less than an hour away by car from Princeton Landing, with the trips being as straightforward as can be. Moreover, the Princeton Junction train station, servicing local NJ Transit and Interstate Amtrak trains, is 5 minutes away. Countless professionals commute to New York from the Princeton area every day having made the decision that it simply a nicer place to live. Whether it is for work or for play, you can be in either New York or Philadelphia in less than an hour and then back in Princeton Landing with a snap of a finger, able to enjoy among the serene natural setting that this community has to offer. Further, a Princeton Landing home will bring you the ability to place your kids in the West Windsor – Plainsboro school district, one that has been recognized with numerous awards as a leading public school district in the state and the country. Including a Princeton Mailing Address.
Princeton Landing is such a popular community with good reason. The location is unbeatable and the complex has a lot to offer. The units themselves are unique in their size with the basement and garage. That is hard to find in that price range in or near that location.

I have been helping a client find the perfect unit for himself over there and we have seen units snapped up in a matter of days. Even in the dead of winter, when we had such bad news the Princeton Landing units were selling. You certainly go wrong from an investment standpoint that is if you know your prices.

Best of luck to you!

Christina
Phillips
You have done your research. Living in Princeton Ldg. offers an "oasis" in the middle of central New Jersey. I have been here 13 years and still feel as if I am living in a resort area when I come home at the end of the day. That being said, if you are not interested in the aesthetic beauty of your surroundings, go to several of the other developments in the Pr/Plains. area. BUT, the new state-of-the-art Princeton Regional Hospital will be done in another year and the property values of Pr. Ldg. will appreciate dramatically. Route 1 is a pain, but Pr. Ldg. is the cure!! I love it hear - and each parcel has a different mo. assn fee.
Looks like you're concerned more about every single penny even before you're planning to buy. Nothing comes for free in this country and you pay for what you get, so you cannot negate high HOA, taxes and other costs related to a home. Do yourself a favor. Rent!!
Hi Atul,
I've moved at least 3 clients , who have a similar connection & commute as you, to the Monroe area & what you get very comfortably is a nice new home ( under 10 yrs) , no traffic congestion, well connected to 2 park & rides , lots of upgrades in the home, the features you mentioned & a vibrant, diverse community & well connected to ameneties....with lower taxes & assoc fee.
While Plainsboro, South Brunswick & East Windsor also offer you good options, I believe Monroe would work well for your needs.
If you needed a perspective from some of my buyers who have been living here, regarding the area or communting to the city, please email or call.
Shalu
Web Reference: http://www.SoldByShalu.com
Princeton Landing is only accessible from route 1 and is a bit older. I do not suggest comparing it to Dayton East windsor etc as the West Windsor Plainsboro schools do not compare (they continually are among the best as are Princetons, Montgomery and Hopewells. )
The $3000.00 pm you mention may not be too far off for other developements but will depend upon your credit scores also. There are units at the estates in west windsor that have the features but likely to be above your price, Off blue spring in Montgomery are a few developements. (low 300K to mid 400K) Hopewell in Brandon farms. There was a unit in Montgomery woods that had a lower level (not called a basement but for all purposes it is) In general NJ taxes are high everywhere. as schools are supported this way. This one was priced around $330K as I recall