Zebragirl, Home Buyer in Cleveland, OH

How hard is it to put central air conditioning into a home built in 1920 in Cleveland Heights, Ohio? Is there a concern with asbestos?

Asked by Zebragirl, Cleveland, OH Sun Mar 6, 2011

Answers

2
I'm assuming there's a boiler in the home? Or have they upgraded to a forced air furnace? If it's a boiler, it will be more difficult, naturally as the duct work isn't installed.

While it's great to ask Trulia and Realtors, your best bet is to get at least 3 licensed, reputable HVAC contractor estimates. They will be able to explain the entire process and expected cost, work, etc. with you. You will learn so much from them just from their initial inspections. They should be FREE estimates. Ask before they come out if the estimate is free. Don't let anyone charge you or push you into signing a contract.

This is a relatively popular upgrade for our area due to older homes and don't forget you will increase your property value along with possibly reducing you energy bills. Good luck to you!

Cecilia Sherrard & Team
RE/MAX Northeast, Ohio
440-781-8737
Web Reference: http://www.YouShouldOwn.com
The preferred method for this is to run C/A down from a new 3rd floor forced air furnace. They run small ducts into all the areas you want A/C. The can get fairly costly, but that is what they do in the older homes. I would call a reputable HVAC person to come out and give you some thoughts, advice, and estimates....or call a couple of them. It depends upon other factors as well. I just showed a home last week that has C/A throughout the 2nd floor and kitchen, but uses the boiler/radiator system for their heat. Asbestos is a problem if it is exposed to the air around it and breaks off. If it is wrapped securely, it should be fine, but that is, again, an issue to ask the contractor. If you need the names of some reputable HVAC contractors, please contact me and I will give the names to you via your email. (no...you don't have to buy or sell a house with me to get the name of a contractor!)
Tari Torch Sweeney
RE/MAX Traditions
tarits@adelphia.net
216-319-4493