Kara, Home Buyer in Kiawah Island, SC

How does private home rental income compare to condo/villa rental income on Kiawah on average? How are lot prices faring compared to 10 years ago?

Asked by Kara, Kiawah Island, SC Thu Oct 14, 2010

Since many of these are second homes (at least!) they seem empty (speaking for neighbourhoods such as Vanderhorst Plantation). Surely there is more upkeep - landscaping, pool maintenance etc to add to costs. (Thx to those who responded on my other question so far) .

Answers

1
Kara,
It really varies and much depends on location, condition and amenities such as a pool. Some homes can produce more, some less than villas. There are different expenses such as you mentioned but not necessarily more...and you would not be pay the regime fees. Currently there are several distressed sales out there and if you picked up one of these, you could yeild a great cap rate. regarding lots, the number of transactions is down almost 50% year to year with prices averaging in the 2003 to 2003 range. Many of the lot sales this year are occuring in the 1M+ bracket.

If you can give me an idea of your overall goals, I can point you in the right direction. Also, cottages are another option, fee simple ownership, but also does have a small (as compared to villas) regime that takes care of some things.