Market Conditions in Houston>Question Details

Dc, Home Owner in Houston, TX

How do you access public records to see how much houses in your area or neighborhood sold. Is there is a charge for this information?

Asked by Dc, Houston, TX Wed Jun 8, 2011

I am protesting my taxes and need to find sales in the area

Answers

12
Since Texas is a Non-disclosure state the public has no access to Sold prices. It is a privacy issue, you have the right for your personal financial information NOT to be available to the public. The only way to find out what the recent comparable sold prices are in your neighborhood is by contacting a Realtor. They can provide you comparable sales for your particular subdivision. I provide comps or market analysis for free and I am sure a local Houston Realtor will be happy to help you with this task.
YOu can get a rough idea from Zillow..but a Realtor is the person who can access exactly what a home sold for....Zillow gives ranges. A realtor like myself will usually ask if they can stay in touch just in case there is a need to sell in the future...but you can always request not to have that done
Web Reference: http://www.camerohomes.com
Hello, Dc.

I am a Houston Realtor. I helped my clients with this information in the past. Have you contacted your previous realtor that helped you buy the home? Call me if you want a little help or a few pointers.

Hope your week is terrific, Kathleen
Best choice is a market analysis from a real estate professional familiar with the area.
DC,

Sale prices are not recorded in Texas, so no public access. Loans are recorded and you can access this information at the county court house. That would not be the full price, but a starting point. Don't use Zillow or other web based "value programs" as they only access the county appraisal values which are not as accurate as your local Realtor pulling up sold prices from the local MLS.

Contact a Realtor to access the recent solds comparble to your home for your tax protest. Typically no charge for this. Good luck on your protest!!

Mark McNitt
Bernstein Realty
m# 832-567-4357
Hi, Dc. As a Realtor here in Katy. I can find out that information for you FREE of charge. All I need from you is the phisical address of the property. Please send me an email with that info and I will be glad to provide that information for you. My email is homes@botnickgroup.com.

Geralda Botnick
(818) 633-0687
We use Zillow.com quite a bit for estimated market vaule compared to insured value. We also use Zillow.com for basic property characteristics to help generate quote estimates.

Hope this helps, Dc.
Web Reference: http://cnrbrokerage.com
Zillow and Trulia are good options. The best option is to get in touch with a Realtor who can give you specifics. It's a free service. You've got nothing to lose. My number is 832.526.9675
Web Reference: http://www.equitasrc.com
"Sold" comparables are not recorded in the public records unless the new buyers volunteers the information to the appraisal district (and most do not, as it usually would result in a higher appraisal), so the public records are spotty at best. As mentioned below, you can have a Realtor pull what has sold in your neighborhood. Or if you would rather receive information about comparable homes that have sold on a regular basis both to fight your tax assessor AND to keep abreast of what is going on in your neighborhood, you can use the link below. Good luck!
Your best bet is to have a Realtor do the research for you. I would be happy to prepare a comparative market analysis for you, free of charge. Please feel free to contact me at 713-890-9108, thank you.

Truly,

Brandon Newton
Texas is a Non-Disclosure state where sales prices are not reported in the county deed records. There is not a public record source for sales prices that is available online to the public. Your best bet is to contact a REALTOR that subscribes to the Houston MLS and they can provide you with the sales data you need.
You could check Zillow.com or Trulia.com for information but the Texas MLS is for realtors only -which is the most accurate information . Any real estate agent can assist you with this.