Market Conditions in 77018>Question Details

Charles, Home Owner in 77018

How do I get a fair market price evaluation?

Asked by Charles, 77018 Thu Jun 2, 2011

I had repairs done to my home: siding replaced, 55 year old furnace replaced with furnace / central air. HCAD says my property went up $78000 due to "renovation". The siding was rotting, and the furnace leaked. I had to have asbestos removed as well, before the new furnace could be installed, and found the bathroom sewer line was broken, which was also fixed. For a project of "repair", it turned out to be very expensive. Now taxes look like they are going to skyrocket. I really do NOT believe an increase of this magnitude occurred from just repairing the property.

Help the community by answering this question:


You should protest your value with Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD). Unfortunately, the deadline to protest this year has already passed. When you get your tax statement next year make sure you protest. You can file it online if there is a green sheet with instructions. If there is no green paper you will have to go to HCAD to file (most can be done online). It is very simple to file and it doesn't cost you anything. If you need help you are welcome to contact me.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
First, look into the appeals process. Secondly, you will probably need to hire a certified appraiser. Some appraisers might have experience with your problem and should be able to guide you through an appeals process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Hi Charles,

Most Realtors offer FREE CMA's. You should probably contact a couple agents and ask for a free market analysis of you home. They would need to see it to give you a some what accurate idea.

So call a Realtor.

Good Luck,

Zisis Sakellariou
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer