Erik Overn, Home Buyer in Albuquerque, NM

How do I find good comps? Very similar to the subject property and within a mile, same # BR/BA, sq. ft. , lot size etc. ???

Asked by Erik Overn, Albuquerque, NM Wed Jan 27, 2010

Without bugging my agent for the MLS everyday. Trulia and Zillow don't really help. Their info is always incomplete or shows houses halfway across town that don't compare in any way. Is there a website I don't know about that does a better job?

Answers

4
If you are already working with the agent there are tools at their disposal. One is a search that can be set up by your agent which feeds directly from the Albuquerque MLS which is based on your individual home search criteria. The search can be built for areas of town, distance from an address in addition to the criteria you are looking for in a home. When a new listing posts it will automatically send you an email with a link of the new home meeting your parameters. You can then either save this home or delete it, this way you have visibility on what is happening in your neighborhood or where you would like to buy. Many of my buyers and sellers really love this auto search because they get quick notification of new listing and can keep on top of the search. But you need to be working with a real estate professional that has MLS access to get this service.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Hi Erik,
Because we are one of a handful of non-disclosure states, Zillow and Trulia are not always accurate, but they are improving regularly as time and sales go on. They are probably the best publicly accessible sources of values, regretably. If you are buying, you will know a good value when you see it after you have been out to see enough homes. In my experience, that is about 12-15 homes for people who have been shopping online and working with me. Once we have seen what we both feel are the best values that meet their criteria, they know well which ones are the best out there and when they see the right one. Also, when you are doing the legwork, you should not worry about "bothering" your agent, as that is their job and it does not take a good agent long to provide you with useful information from the MLS - and that is after all the best source of data. If your agent seems to get bugged by your inquiries, you should probably consider shopping for better service. Some brokers, like me, even negotiate a commission rebate for buyers who assume lots of the legwork and save me time. If you are selling, you really need to compare to your direct competitors that are also active in MLS, so make your agent jump in the car and show you some of those. A good agent is never burdened by a diligent client. Best of luck to you Erik!
Paul is correct--your agent will be able to give you accurate comps--it's his/her job to help you in any way possible--don't rely on internet comps, most are not accurate.
Hi Erik,
It's actually your agent's job to provide you with the data with which to make your home buying decision. That data is in the agent's section of the MLS. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to call me at 400-4129.

Paul Taylor