Market Conditions in Atlanta>Question Details

Kewlkristine2, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

How are the schools here ? I'm from New York .

Asked by Kewlkristine2, Atlanta, GA Wed Jul 3, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3123853391-1419-Village-Creek…

Answers

24
I have school rankings based on test scores. Please send me a private email or phone 404-405-6992 if you would like a copy.

Happy 4th O' July!!

Rick Hamilton, REALTOR®
RE/MAX METRO ATLANTA
1189 S. Ponce de Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
How could I forget - google "cheating in Atlanta public schools" and "DeKalb County school board issues".
I could do an entire stand-up comedy routine about APS. One of my favorites was the new trend towards awarding 10, count 'em, 10 Valedictorians per graduating class, HELLO! There can only one Valedictorian per graduating class! Again, another cheat to help college entrance.
It is true, Agents will not advise you about schools, they are under a lot of pressure to be politically correct.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
My apologies- they've changed their homepage. If you put "report card" in the search box- it will come up. Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I'm from New York as well- Queens. Welcome! A good way to get to know what schools are doing well academically is to visit: http://www.gppf.org. This is the Georgia Public Policy Foundation which ranks school based on test scores and other criteria. As a parent, I use this website on a regular basis. Scroll to the bottom left and you will see "Report Card".
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Like I said, avoid people who don't even know the Atlanta market, and their best advice is third party sites some of which are out of service - and all of which can be misleading and inaccurate - go to the source - actual unvarnished state DOE test score and school performance records!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Checkout Trulia's "Local Info" tab for information on Schools, neighborhoods and etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hi, you can visit http://www.schooldigger.com, http://www.greatschools.org, and http://www.schoolmatters.com for stats.. When you narrow down your options take a trip to visit the schools. Don't make an appt, if they have time to plan you may not see things as they really are.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Metro Atlanta schools range from appalling to excellent depending on location - if you think 30316 is where you want to live be prepared to pay for private schools, and you might want to check into crime rates as well. If you want really good schools, think: Cobb County, North Fulton County, Gwinnett County, and Cherokee County on the Northside, and Fayette County on the Southside. All the best performing schools are in those counties - there are pockets in a few more Northside counties but these are the main ones that are closer in.

There is a lot more you need to know about schools (and neighborhoods), and I suggest you do the fine tuned school research using the GA Department of Education website for more info and accurate stats. Understand that making a sound investment in a home is another thing altogether - there are plenty of areas in every county that will perform very poorly over time if you buy the wrong home. In some cases, your preferred price range for a home may limit you from certain school districts - and must be factored into the analysis.

I would avoid taking school recommendations from agents because it is a very personal decision that has to be right for your family and your children. I suggest you talk to someone who is not trying to push an area, or school, or listings, or market data on you without finding out a lot more about what you want and need first - in other words, someone who can ask the right questions, and listen more then they talk - and ideally you want someone who has been in Atlanta at least 15 years or more. I have been here for over 35 years, and during that time have worked in all facets of the Atlanta housing and real estate industry, acquiring broad and deep experience that comes from being the current Broker/Owner of a local real estate firm, and from former positions and ownership of businesses in Home Construction and Remodeling, Building Inspections and Environmental Consulting, Property Investing, and Managing a Municipal HUD Housing Program - all in the Atlanta market

Reach out to me and I would be happy to discuss your plans, answer your questions, and give you some sound and accurate advice and data on test scores, market trends, crime stats, and help you make wise and fully informed decisions based on your individual needs.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Don't just look at the Statistics, walk through the school and look at the children, the way they are dressed will tell you a lot about their Motivation for Education. Many Atlanta High Schools are set up as 3 trade schools and 1 actual "real" High School called "International Baccalaureate", This is done as an effort to give out a larger percentage of diplomas called "No child left behind". The Atlanta Public Schools also denies Parents the right to enroll smarter children early, in an age appropriate manner. If your child was not are not born by the September cut off, then he will be a year too old for the next 4 years of high school. The idea is that older students will learn more easily and bring up Atlanta Public Schools iffy test scores. This is absolutely the opposite of The Truth about Learning, you learn more when you are young, (this is true of language learning and all learning). Do not put it past APS to cheat and take the lazy way out. Students are allowed to stay in High School until they are twenty years of age in an attempt to graduate. Go and meet the teachers and ask about their credentials, the teachers are usually very friendly and happy just to have a job.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Other than private, these are about the best you will get in Atlanta
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
You will not knocked over by the scores here. I'm from NY as well and moving here in '93 was an eye opener. I submit that you should concern yourself more with the value trends in Atlanta; where there is strength or at least stability in the market you will find better schools - all relative of course.

The area where this home is located blew up during the boom and fell just as fast - it is very far from settled and bank owned homes remain - including those not on the market. I'm an appraiser as well as broker, if you need advice let me know - you can also see weekly stats trends - http://hankmillerteam.com/atlanta-real-estate-conditions/ look on the right sidebar, scroll to that zip and get the report

Hank
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
It's something Creek . The link is above . Thank you so much for all the info .
Flag Thu Jul 4, 2013
The best way to know about a schools ratings is to go to http://www.greatschools.org This site gives comprehensive results for every school in the area, which include parent reviews.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hi Kristine,
I advise using the Redfin home search rather than trulia and Zillow. They update their system multiple times daily which makes the properties available on the site a lot more reliable than those found on other sites that are updated (sometimes not updated) by individual users. Also you can search by schools so if in your research you find a great school that you would love your kids to go to you can enter it into the search and it will map out homes available based on your criteria. Its really great.

Also If you don't already have an agent to help you with your search, Redfin is another great option because unlike most agencies, Redfin is fully transparent and displays its customer reviews in real time on the site.

Below are some other great things about Redfin!

On Your Side
Only Redfin Agents are paid based on your satisfaction. We put your interests before a deal or a dollar, every time.

Smarter & Faster
You'll move quickly and confidently with our easy online tools and the most complete & accurate data.

You Get More
Get the right home for you while saving thousands in fees for a deal that works in your favor.

With Redfin, there's no pressure — take as long as you need.

97% of Customers Would Recommend Redfin Agents
We survey everyone who works with us so you know exactly how Redfin Agents have performed in your neighborhood. See for yourself by reading customer reviews of Redfin Agents — the good,
the bad, the ugly.
Lilburn to Buckhead to Johns Creek? What about Douglasville and Peachtree City?
Lilburn has some good schools but a lot of gang activity, so....- Buckhead especially, and to a lesser degree Johns Creek are more expensive areas - Buckhead schools vary widely in quality, but folks in Buckhead can afford to spend $10-$15K per child for private schools - Johns Creek has very good schools for the most part.

You are really all over the board - pick an expert that knows all of Atlanta and trust them to help you. Or you can do the ask a thousand questions on Trulia - there is a better way to get better answers.
Lilburn , and buckhead too
Can you tell me about Johns Creek ?
Jill that was spot on. Good job cutting through the eye wash that so many schools put out.

Each kid is different and those test scores are far from an end all-be all indicator
Hi, Kewkristine2 -

I'm a parent and have been a teacher in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and I think that you'll find that schools here swing widely in quality. I would strongly encourage you not to use test scores as a primary indicator of school quality. Take them into account, but visit schools and ask to see the curriculum, take note of the class size, and talk to parents who live in the area.

Also, be very aware of the aspects of education are important to you; for instance, people will tell you that Cherokee County schools are fantastic, but we chose to move out of that area because there is a distinct lack of diversity and I found the academics lacking on a number of levels. The counties are on different school schedules (for instance, Cherokee County has a longer school year than neighboring counties with a one week "school holiday" scheduled most months), and when you get to high school, many schools - even the "good" ones - have 40+ students in each class (teachers teach 5 classes a day, which tells you a lot about how much individual attention any child can realistically get). Children with learning differences struggle. I taught in North Fulton County (which real estate agents here will tell you is one of the top school systems in the country), and teachers were operating with this class size 5 years ago and it has not visibly improved. The very good high school students get permission to go off campus to take classes at a local college once they get their driver's license - and, of course, you have to pay for those classes.

Charter schools are sometimes a good option here. Most don't perform any better than public schools with respect to academics, but you can find a few that are better than average for specific studies. There are a few schools, for instance, that offer IB programs or cater to students gifted in science or math. My daughter's academic strengths lie in language and writing, so I'm sending her to an IB program to prepare her for international study during her late high school and college career.

Comparatively speaking, Georgia does not invest in education the way that Northeastern states do, but if you are clear about what kind of academic experience you want for your child, you should be able to find it - even if it in in a private school.

WriterGirl
Thanks for all your info ! Much appreciated .
Flag Fri Jul 5, 2013
Jill,
That is all largely true, and that is why I always tell parents to visit the schools and talk to the staff - but I disagree 100% about asking a parent what they think of the schools - as is so common on sites like Great Schools - parents in really poor quality and poorly "parent supported" schools will gush on about how great "their" school is. Lindley Elementary In Mableton/Austell is a recent example I saw, and even some parent from a Clayton County school - the worst run school system in GA.
Having said that, regardless of student / teacher ratios, in the absence of a parent taking responsibility to visit the schools, test scores do give a better indication of the opportunity to get a better education, than a school with atrocious scores - that is irrefutable.
Regardless of all the negatives you want to bring in about school test scores - the parent has to be involved in supporting the school and in the child's education - that is one of the drivers of great test scores.
Flag Fri Jul 5, 2013
Decatur is walkable, but if you expect anything like NYC forget it, not happening. Also, this house isn't anywhere near Decatur - you'll be walking for a few hours to get to Decatur proper. Last problem, this home is under contract. Other than that.....

Make a smart move and call Lee Taylor of Keller Williams - he's on here just search his name. Lee lives and works in this area, has for many years and he knows it back and forth. He's a straight shooter that won't get you into trouble.
Hi Kristine,

Yes, Decatur is city with shops and restaurants, and it's one of the most walkable cites in metro Atlanta.

Now that you are asking for specific info about properties, it is time to chose a Buyers agent or Broker to represent you to get listing information and pointed advice - where they are duty bound to do everything in their ability (whatever that is) to do what is in your best interests.

Never "work" with any agent - insist on being represented as a client - that is the only way an agent is beholding and accountable to you, for their advice, actions, or failures to act.

I have helped many New Yorkers relocate to Atlanta and folks form all over the world - give me a call - it costs you nothing to explore your options and find out about our unmatched Buyer Representation services.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Thank you all so much for the info ! The p,ace I really liked was the creek above link . It's Decador area . Wow ! You get a lot for the money here . New York is pricey . I like the condo rather then a home . I'm a single mother and will have 1 child going to school there . My oldest is graduating high school . I know Ga has the best football team going ;) again if anyone can tell me a condo with pool . That would be great with good schools . How is decador area ? It is like a city . I need stores !! Remember y'all you are dealing with a born and raised city girl from New York .......Kristine .
Maurice is right - GA Public Policy Foundation is great and was my "go to" test score site until 2010 - they are working on getting funding so they can continue putting out their great reports - for now unfortunately the 2010 report (using 2009 data) is the most recent report - many new schools have popped up since then. The really top schools like Walton High and Shallowford Falls Elementary in Cobb are consistent and not much will have changed, and the really bottom schools like Clayton County are largely unchanged, but that is not the case for many and you need more up to date data if you want to compare apples to apples.