tom, Home Buyer in Kansas City, MO

Home Owners Associations in Johnson County

Asked by tom, Kansas City, MO Fri Jul 12, 2013

I'm considering buying a house that is in an HOA in Shawnee. The dues included lawn maintenance, trash, painting every 7 years and street snow removal. The dues are $125 a month. How does being a part of an HOA affect home values in the area? Is it more difficult to sell houses in an HOA? Are the dues high for the area? Also, just in general, what do you think the housing market in shawnee will look like in two years?

Answers

2
Hi Tom,

You are considering a maintenance provided property. All of these communities have a monthly HOA. $125 per month is very reasonable. They can be quite a bit higher than that in other maintenance provided communities. When someone is wanted this type of property they are expecting to pay a monthly fee for these services.

In regards to the housing market in Shawnee over the next two years, no one can predict that or any other area for that matter. However, a realtor can run comps for you and give you a history of that area for comparable properties.

With all that being said, there can be a big difference from one HOA to another. I would suggest consulting with your realtor. If you don't have one, I would be happy to assist.

Shelly Christ
913-485-8641
HOA's can be a plus or a minus depending on the client. Some clients prefer to live in subdivisions with an HOA because HOA's typically will ensure that home values are protected from a rogue homeowner who collects junk cars or paints their house purple and green. Also, for some clients, they prefer an HOA that provides many amenities meaning they can relax and enjoy home ownership without having all the maintenance and upkeep.

On the flip side there are many buyers who refuse to be in an HOA because they do not like someone dictating to them what color they paint their home and how tall their grass is or having to ask permission for a relative to visit them in an RV etc.

This is a very buyer-specific preference and I believe you will find buyers in any market who prefer one over the other.

I would suggest for home values, you consult your Realtor and have them run some historic comps for you. Compare what the properties sold for in your subdivision last year compared to another nearby subdivision without HOA and then compare what it's current values are compared to that same neighborhood. You could at least get a feel if they are moving in the same proportion to each other.

Good luck with your home buying!

Angela Shopper
913-707-6884