Emilyp19, Home Buyer in Alger Heights, Grand...

Hi! My husband and I are planning to buy a home in GR in the next few months and are looking at Alger Heights (just East of Middle School) but have

Asked by Emilyp19, Alger Heights, Grand Rapids, MI Tue Mar 9, 2010

heard mixed reviews. Our top concern is safety-- would I as a 20-something woman be safe walking neighborhood alone? And second concern is resale 5-10 years from now. Any advice, information, etc.? Thank you!

Answers

16
Hi Emily, I have a brother-in-law that has lived in Alger Heights for over 17 years his daughter walked to school everyday and I lived there over 10 years myself. The home values because of current ecconomic times are better than ever. The area has alway been know for statbility.
The Alger School was just redone not to many years ago and is beautiful. Robert said it best. Check other comparable areas and get a feel for yourself. You can check crime stats on line by neighborhood that will also give you a indicator of security. Here is a link where you can find community information and search for homes without leaving the comfort of your home. http://www.flexitrealty.com/communityinfo.html . Hope this helps you with your options. A home purchased in the area now should certainly show growth in the future. Enjoy wherever you choose.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
Hi Emily,

Alger Heights is a great neighborhood and I agree with Kevin Yoder that the area has excellent potential for future appreciation. I have many clients in Alger who have thoroughly enjoyed calling it home. I myself live a few blocks to the west near Garfield Park and have really enjoyed it here (been in the area for over 10 years). The area is packed full of charm, has a nice library, its own hardware store, and great little ice cream stand among many other wonderful local businesses. My wife and two young children just returned home from a stroll through the neighborhood if that gives you any idea how we feel about it.

My advice would be to look at homes in Alger and at least a few other areas, that way you can compare firsthand how one area feels in comparison to another. Talk to people that live in the area and worry less about what people who have never lived there have to say.

Kevin Yoder would be an excellent agent to speak to about Alger or other areas. I would be happy to assist you as well. If you send me an email, I can send you a link to all the homes that are available in the area.

Robert Young
Associate Broker, ABR, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
Midwest Properties
616-248-0000 Direct Office
866-559-4373 Direct Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
Hello Emily,

As the Alger Heights Neighborhood Specialist and someone who has lived in Alger Heights for over 8 years, I highly recommend this neighborhood for 1st time home buyers. Prices have never been better and when the market begins to recover, Alger Heights will see higher than average appreciation levels (Compared to other GR neighborhoods and based on past performance.)

For more information, visit http://www.AlgerHeightsHomes.com or call me at # 616-942-2449

Kevin Yoder
# 616-942-2449
kevin@forsalebyyoder.com
http://www.grandrapidsrealestatepros.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
Please contact me at 616 308 2631. I will be able to help you find a home, and can also help you with loan approval.

Thanks!!

Karl

kroelofs@grar.com
Alger Heights is a great neighborhood and is a great spot for first time buyers. Right now there are some supper deals please call me at 616-826-4387 or e-mail me at stevedykstra@grar.com

Steve Dykstra
Hi Emily -

I just showed a house in Alger Heights. My impression was that it was a nice neighborhood in which alot of people have raised their families. If you would like area crime information you can contact GRPD. They have a crime map on their website. I think the most important issue here is if you feel safe in Alger Heights. I would encourage you to walk the neighborhood and maybe even talked to people who live there. If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to contact me. Good luck.

Cindy Schlee, Realtor
Grand Rapids, MI
616-558-9595
cindyschlee@grar.com
http://www.cindyschlee.com
Please call me at 616 308 2631 or better yet, email me at kroelofs@grar.com. I will be able to help you find a home.

Thanks!!

Karl Roelofs
Hi Emily,

I have sold a number of homes in the area. There are a lot of 3 bedroom starter homes in the area under $100,000. Right now is the hottest the market has been in that area so I would not wait long. If you are not working with a realtor right now I would love to help you find your first dream home. Please e-mail me back if you would like my help.
My home will be going up for sale in the next month or so. It is in Alger heights on a great street
2 bedroom 1.5 bath
den/office room
built in wet bar and built in video shelves in basement
roof done in 2007
electric box replaced in 2009
furnace replaced in 2010
asking $71,000
email me if interested
workfromhomemommy@msn.com
A followup to my first answer.

I have never heard anything negative about this area.

Karl

kroelofs@grar.com
616 308 2631
Please email me your name, phone number, and where you want to live. I will be able to help you find a home.

I cannot answer your question about safety, but I will be able to show you homes, and help you find one that you will be happy with.

Thanks!!

Karl Roelofs
kroelofs@grar.com
661 308 2631
I live in Alger Heights and love it. We walk and bike around the area a lot, and see many other people doing the same. A very nice market (and popular) just opened in the Alger Heights business district, adding yet another reason to live here. We moved here 7 years ago and do not regret it.
I have lived in the area for more than 20 year and never had one once of trouble. This is a safe community to walk in during the day for sure, I have never heard of any problems. I have 2 children and they always play and bike through the neighborhood. There is tons of things to do here and the central location adds to the charm. There is a nice large park on both sides, several churches, golf, shopping, convience stores, resturants, pediatricians, barber shop, pet shop, banks, library and many other features. Our home that we live in now is 4 bedrooms and two baths brick two story and we paid less than 160,000 so you can't beat the prices here either. In this area you have your choice of public schools or charter and there are some good selections for both near by.
We as real estate professionals under our licensing, can not give information on one area over another area. We can tell you to contact the Grand Rapids Police Dept for stats. You can also do a google search under crime states for GR.

If your looking for an agent to assist in your search contact me anytime.

Thank you-
Mary Kent
915-3987
Five Star Real Estate
Web Reference: http://kentcountyhome.com
Good Afternoon Emily,

Since you have alot of questions, I believe it would be better to discuss over the phone. Give me a call when you have a minute to discuss - 616-893-3287. I look foward to speaking with you.

Have a good day!

Web Reference: http://www.vdovickgroup.com
I personally would stay away from Alger Heights. Your best bet is to contact a local real estate professional and discuss what you are looking for. I would recommend contacting my real estate agent, Bethany Bratt, to find a home that will suite your needs. You can contact her at: CELL: 616-915-9208. She is with Blu House Realty, which specializes in that part of Grand Rapids.

If you have any questions regarding financing, please let me know as I am a local mortgage banker here in GR and would love to assist you with your purchase.

TJ Malkasian
P: 616-433-7066
TJ@TopFliteFinancial.com