allison.kuehn, Home Buyer in Pensacola, FL

Have realtors in Jacksonville have had trouble overcoming the sales objective that the water is too dirty in residential homes?

Asked by allison.kuehn, Pensacola, FL Fri Jul 12, 2013

Answers

6
Allison,

Every Saturday here in Jacksonville, FL on WOKV from 7-9 AM, there is a home and garden show and yesterday they were discussing "well-water", and that it can stain houses, patios, fences. Perhaps this is the dirty water you mention? The water we receive from the local JEA city water is good and clean and I have never seen it stain a property. Well water that is pumped from the ground can stain though since it is untreated and may contain properties that would damage an area. Of course, if you think the water at your house is an issue, you can always have it sent to a lab for testing purposes. Trust, but verify comes to mind.

Liz
Ive had buyers back away for some pretty silly reasons, but that one is a new one on me. I have not come across "dirty" water. Stinky in some places, yes. :o)
Based on the number of home sales completed, YTD 2013, the situation, if it existed, has been overcome and is proving to have no material influence today. With so many solutions available, such distractions hardly merit a 'dirty water' discussion especially when a major metropolitan water system is associated with the property.
Allison....WHERE did you find dirty water in Jacksonville? I have been involved in Real Estate since the 1960's and have NEVER seen or heard of "dirty water'.

We DO have some homes with well water that may have some odor IF it is NOT areated or treated.This water has a lot of sulfur in it...but areating removes the smell and taste.

There ARE areas where reclaimed (treated) water is used for outside irrigation....BUT the water for the inside is NOT reclaimed.

Our water has NATURAL flouride in it and, I have been told, that flouride is ALSO added.

If you have viewed homes that have been vacant for a period of time then you "may" see water that is STALE and the system would need to be FLUSHED.

A LOT of our well water is the BEST tasting water in the world...as far as I am concerned.

You "may" have seen "RUST" on the outside of some homes that have SHALLOW WELLS for OUTSIDE irrigation.....this "rust" is an indication of IRON in the shallow well water....which "CAN" be treated...BUT....the iron is good for the grass and it would be time and money wasted on the grass that you do not need to do....deflectors should be helpful to prevent staining on walkways, driveways, and homes.

Thanks you for your question.....Hope you join us here in Jacksonville...This is a wonderful place to live.

Donna Delegal
"The Real Estate Lady"
Oceanside Real Estate
startpackin@comcast.net
(904) 732-PACK 732-7225
Hi Allison, I have had no trouble with residential water issues being a factor with selling or leasing homes here in Jacksonville. Our water is tested and meets standards as it is in any city. Being in Florida, it is typical to have calcium build-up and hard water stains. You can overcome that with a water softener. I hope this helps!
Wow Allison, been selling homes in the Jacksonville area for 15 years and haven't heard of any dirty water issues in residential homes. JEA provides water and sewer here in the Jacksonville/Duval county area without any known issues. Would be interested in reading whatever information you might have on the subject.

Charlie