Jacksonbrown, Other/Just Looking in East Stroudsburg, PA

GOOD OR BAD IDEA FOR RETIREES TO BUY ATOWNHOUSE

Asked by Jacksonbrown, East Stroudsburg, PA Tue Nov 3, 2009

Answers

6
Great idea.....................just make sure there is a first floor bedroom . Lots of townhomes in my area are built with baby boomers in mind (future retireers).........they have either 1st floor master bedrooms, or at least a room that could be converted into a bedroom down the road............with a first floor full bathroom, too. Many upscale units were built with elevators, or the option for one.

The other option, as mentioned, is to buy in an elevator building...preferably with covered or underground parking - a short walk from the elevator.

In a townhome, you can often get to your car from your attached garage....a highrise building offers more "hotel like" living... involving taking the elevator to the lobby and possibly waiting for your car if there is valet service.

A townhome complex can offer a nice lifestyle........some are gated, and offer a clubhouse, pool, exercise and card rooms, tennis, etc..............you'll love not thaving to be responsible for lawn care or snow removal, too!

Make sure the complex is solvent, and has strong financials. Also make sure to read the bylaws (rules regulating the complex) as they vary from community to community...some are very stringent..some very lax. I live in a townhome - I am not allowed to have a hanging plant outside my front door!! Like I said......read those bylaws ahead of time, as what you are responsible for will also vary from complex to complex.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

PS Mack......as far as AARP, well, I'm "qualified" for that, too.......but the grey hairs??? NEVER (thanks to my colorist!)
I would be agreeing with Julie. Either get a ranch or a (first floor or with elevator) condo. Make sure the doorway can be easily made a few inches wider. That theoretical wheelchair just might become reality even if only for a short time with a broken bone. Make sure the floor plan would be easy to get around with limited mobility.

The big disadvantage of a townhouse, condo, or co-op is this: Noisy neighbors you hear all the time. They live in the same building and like things louder than you do. With an individual house you can have more space without much noise. Plus, HOA fees. Those can add up. In a duplex even maintenance could be split among the various owners. But what happens if your roof goes bad and the other owners won't, or can't help to pay for it?

Also, look for how many steps to get into the place. Could you easily put a ramp in? I have bad legs now, later in life they could be worse. I will have be considering the same exact things when I buy. It makes sense to buy once and remain there for your entire retirement, or at least as long as you can live independently. Moving is to difficult and expensive to want to do it several times after retiring.
By, "retiree," I'm thinking grey hair and AARP-eligible. (Which is me, BTW).

So! How's your mobility? Townhouses are, almost by definition, not ADA compliant - a little knee surgery, a hip replacement here and there, and scooting up and down becomes even more difficult.

If there's space for an elevator, which is highly unlikely, that'll save you.
The decision is yours and yours alone--others opinions are just that. Will you be happy living there and will your new home accomodate your lifestyle's wants and needs.

Anna
It's all your personal preference, if you are looking for home and you do not want to have to worry about outside maintenance then it may be the right choice for you. If you are not currently working with a REALTOR, I would suggest that you contact a few REALTORS and find someone you are comfortable working with. I would also work with a REALTOR as a buyer agent and they can then advise you on market values in different townhome communities. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me @ 570-476-2415.
Dear Jacksonbrown,
You can't deny that it's a great time to buy! I would recommend one floor living for a retiree, looking ahead so that you may remain in your home for many years. The right home for you may be a ranch or a condominium if you don't like to keep up a yard. You have to decide what's right for "you"!