ZH, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

For owners of investment condos in Mission Bay / South Beach / SoMa area: How is the rental market treating you right now?

Asked by ZH, San Francisco, CA Wed Mar 16, 2011

I am looking to invest in property in SF. I am wondering if this is a good part of the city to buy a condo to rent out, how the submarket is doing and projected to do, and how investment owners are faring across the city in general. I appreciate the insight. Thanks!

Answers

1
Hi ZH,
There has been a steady increase in rental demand, and since about November of 2010 it has resulted in much higher rents across all of San Francisco. Rental demand will always be good in SoMa/Mission Bay due to the proximity of the CalTrain station, which takes our young tech execs down south to their jobs but allows them to enjoy city living. It is important that you look at what it will cost to own a particular unit and thenat market rents. There is no crystal ball that will tell us how rents will fare in the future, but as long as silicon valley is an employment hot spot, there will be a solid rental market in SoMa and Mission Bay. If you would like to discuss your budget and what types of properties are currently avaialable, I'm happy to review it with you.