Market Conditions in Taft>Question Details

Greg Johnson,  in Las Vegas, NV

Does anyone know what the real estate development opportunities are like in Taft?

Asked by Greg Johnson, Las Vegas, NV Tue Apr 15, 2008

Am interested in residential ground and business/light industrial property

Answers

5
Lek A. Bhanubandh’s answer
This is a comment and question to Roughrider and Nancy Statler, both of whom are residents of Taft, what are the "good" areas of Taft? You mentioned Roughrider that you own 3 rentals, my question is are good renters hard to come by and is there a market for renters? I have a client interested in both Bakersfield and surrounding areas, like Taft. I did visit and previewed a home in South Taft area and was not impressed with the neighborhood at all. Are the better areas north or near the junior college and shopping center? Also both you you mentioned about the new development being built (2009); may I know what types and whereabouts, and, is this still true for 2010?
In response to the reclassification of Taft as a water way. The dry creek bed that he was referring to is about FIVE miles outside of Taft and they reclassified it as a dry creek because water has not run through that canal in as many years as I've been alive. Thirty three years. I know this because my parents live about four hundred feet from it. I have lived in this community all of my life why would you want to come here? Well fo one thing we don't have thegangs and violence as ,any cities (Bakersfield) do. People move away from Taft, but they always come back, that's why our population has grown so rapidly and new developments are currently being built. Taft as an area reaches to Bakersfield so that is a sixty mile radius that is considered Taft including a prison, a lake and outlying communities. Ford city is the north part of Taft, which is still taft, just unincorporated. I also own three rentals which do very well. People who drive by and don't stop to actually know Taft wouldn't know the complete history or what kind of city this is. And I wouldn't think that a realtor would drive forty miles to show a house if they live in Bakersfield. That's why we have four realty offices out here. So what I'm saying is Taft is a great place....take it from someone who lives here.....not from someone who just drives through or reads about it!!!!
I live in Taft and there is quite a bit of new residential construction going on. There are also industrial property for sale and industrial new construction happening around the town. City Hall would have more information. The local papers would have information too.
Hi Greg, I live about 30-40 minutes from taft. I show very few home in the Taft area and there is actually a Junior College. I know many of the homes are alot less some parts of Taft, it is growing, However, Bakersfield is in my opinion a better opportunity for investment, Bakersfield has grown so much, and is still growing!
Taft? You want to go TO Taft?
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Taft just benefitted from the federal reclassification of a "navagable waterway" called sand creek. (It is really just a dry riverbed about the size of a canal.) If the state also changes it's status I hear it could open up quite a bit of development opportunity. I attached a link to a news article but calling someone at the city would be a better source.
Be aware that some of taft is unicorporated (i think it's called ford city by the locals) and that taft used to completely flood with crude oil. I would have an expert look into what must be done to build on land that may be contaminated because pretty much all of Taft is/was at one point. Taft recieved little or no new housing in the boom and I think that the environmental concerns may have played a part in that, but I'm not sure.