Christina On…, Real Estate Pro in Tracy, CA

Does any realtor have a door knocking success story they can share?

Asked by Christina Oneal, Tracy, CA Thu Sep 13, 2007

Answers

5
Christina, I am just on my way out to do some door knocking with a new realtor in my office who I am mentoring. We are going to pass out open house flyers to a 55+ neighborhood where people would be likely to scale down to the home we are offering.

I think you can have great success door knocking. I have had many listings come as a result of it. There are agents in my office who get a great % of their business from door knocking. Seldom has anyone ever been rude to me.

Take the plunge!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
I have a great door-knocking story! My mother Judy Carr was a successful (and brave!) real estate agent for many decades. She was also a big believer in God working to improve people’s lives through real estate--but you had to participate and do your part, too, not just sit around praying and hoping. So one day she was working at the computer and her little printer spat out a MetroScan report (a County profile of a particular home’s data)—that she hadn’t requested! She thought it was strange, but kept on working. After about a half-hour, she figured “maybe it was a sign from God” so she drove over to the home and knocked on the door.

When the man answered, she said hello and asked if he was thinking of selling. (After all, why else would God send her that message?) He looked suspiciously both ways and asked, “Have you been spying on me?” When she asked why, he said, “We only decided to sell our house about thirty minutes ago! How did you find out so fast?”

Naturally, he invited her in, she told them the story, she got the listing, had a buyer already for it herself, and put it all together for the two happy families – with a $20,000 total commission for her. A fabulous result for door-knocking.

But the best part of this story is when she told it to our family. My six-year-old daughter’s eyes lit up! When she heard about the money, she said, “Hey Grandma, I could get a little old lady dress and some little old lady glasses and some little old lady boots and I could go out door-knocking with you!” She figured all she needed was the right “look” to overcome her age and people would sell with her, too.
I am not a fan of door knocking. There are rare circumstances when I might knock on someone's door, and that most likely might be a FSBO. i.e. I have a buyer interested in their property and no phone number to call, or not enough lead time.

I also am not receptive to people knocking on my door, and I am sure that influences my resistance to knocking on another persons door. I am sensitive to invading their time and space on my terms and schedule with disregard to their current activity at the moment. Perhaps if I got over that, I could find success in door knocking.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
I don't like general door knocking either, but having a reason to door knock makes it easier...I've done community events, listing in the area and "neighborhood" open houses..all have been met with almost everyone being freindly.
I am not a big fan of door knocking. I work in a higher end market area and homeowners are very cautious The exception is if it is your neighborhood/ area and people know you and you wish to let them know you are having an open house nearby or have just listed a neighbor's home.