Market Conditions in Seattle>Question Details

Me, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

Does Realtor.com have complete, national coverage of real estate listings in the U.S.?

Asked by Me, Seattle, WA Thu Mar 4, 2010

Can any site claim this? I am trying to find the most comprehensive source of national real estate listings.

Answers

23
Karen,

Keller Williams' claims do not check out. I have family in several areas of the midwest; and clicked onto your website to check out those areas. Even Billings, MT has nothing! There are no MLS listings displayed, only Keller Williams offices where you have to register on their office sites to get any info. Some states do not even have Keller Williams offices. "Verify before you believe" is true, here.

Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, ABR,GRI,CRS,CRB
Hey Me, are you looking to buy a home in every state? :-)

I'm not sure that an accurate site that has complete national coverage is really likely to exist. Odds are, it would be chock full of repeated properties, sold properties that should have been pulled off, things like that.

Realtor.com may be huge, but they certainly do not have every real estate listing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 5, 2010
Apparantly, Windermere now does feed their listings to Realtor.com. I do not know when this changed, but it has.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 4, 2010
The NWMLS in Washington State is Broker owned, not Board of Realtor owned. Therefore, each brokerage, has to independently feed to Realtor.com. Most of them do, but some of them do not. Most notably, the largest brokerage here is Windermere, and they have refused to do so up to date.If you go to my website below, you will have access to every listing in the NWMLS through a Google powered search engine within the NWMLS. Let me know if I can be of further assistance any time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 4, 2010
The MLS doesn't feed, it is set up independently by the brokers independent feeds. Windermere chooses to send them but XXXX doesn't.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 4, 2010
No. There are companies throughout the country that do not upload their listings to realtor.com, or to any other site.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 4, 2010
Dear Me,

Realtor.com does not have all the listings because not all brokerage firms download to Realtor.com. Keller Williams Realty, http://www.kw.com has data from across the nation because we have over 700 offices in the U.S. and Canada and the mls data from areas surrounding each of our offices is included at kw.com.

Good luck in your research. I'm curious what kind of data you are looking for. I have a lot of resources and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Warm Regards,
Karen
No. Realtor.com does NOT have all of the listings. You should look for a local Brokerage in the area you are searching. In The Seattle area foir example Realtor.com only has 60% of the listings. That means 4 of every 10 aren't there. You can use. http://www.thecascadeteam.com/idx/nwmls/ to search for all Seattle area listings.
I have a house in the midwest and I live in westcoast. how can I advertise my home to sell in the same state I live in?
Dan,

It appears Karen's site is the only national level 100% accurate site for listed properties;-0
As I have read here new york city has something very different from the mls every other place seems to use. I think that means you have to work with someone in their system to find properties.
Hi Me,

I can tell you a national site that truly has dependable real estate data from across America.

In the late 1990's Realtor.com had 95% of all listings. As politics and technology evolved many companies including Keller Williams and Windermere dropped out of realtor.com.

Keller Williams, http://www.kw.com , has created the first comprehensive national site. and Keller Williams has been working on this since the mid 1990's. Our website has now fully integrated mls systems from across the country. This has been an enormous task because different mls systems work differently and have different rules for sharing data.

KW.com is now the Number One search result on Google for anyone searching for real estate. I imagine there are small towns not included in our KW.com search solution, so in some small areas, you are best using a local broker's search.

The great advantage Keller Williams has is that it has been a Keller Williams strategy to have our agent websites as portals to their customers, and then to create a linked system for our over 70,000 Keller Williams Agent websites.

The Keller Williams' strategy has created local and North American search solutions. I see you are in Seattle, so if you want a great Seattle search, go to my website, http://www.karenmcknight.com . You will find a map based search if you click on the Property Search button on the left.

Good luck in your search. I am wondering if you are an investor. If so, I can tell you some markets that are getting great positive cash flow.

Warm regards,
Karen
No, there is no one site that can claim it has "the most comprehensive source" of national RE listings. MLS rules and regulations, and the marketing habits of the real estate companies across the country vary too much for anyone to make this claim. Some small rural areas across the country may still not even have MLS.

Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, ABR,GRI,CRS,CRB
John L. Scott RE
Silverdale, WA
Debbie, like they said!

Try as we might, there are always going to be a few holdouts.
Kary, Windermere has a deal with Zillow and several others. The Windermere feed automatically syndicates to Realtor.com plus too many others to list.
As I recall, Windermere had a deal with one website, and later another (e.g. Zillow and/or Trulia), but I'm not sure that prevented them (or individual offices) from also uploading to Realtor.com
Are you looking for actual listings or data on listings. Real Trends or trendgraphics are good wources of data, but provide nothing in terms of individual listings. Honestly you will most likely have to search multiple sites to get the information you are looking for.
At the moment, Realtor.com says there are 3,362 properties for sale in Seattle. The mls says there are 3,834. I checked a smaller subset and came up with 74 in Realtor.com and 92 in the mls, so the variance seems to be from 12% to 20% are not on Realtor.com for our area.

Most of the mls system in the Country do feed to Realtor.com, but most of the Country's mls systems are operated by the Board of Realtors. Seattle area is not, it is separately owned and operated. In much of the Country you have to join the Board of Realtors to have mls access and access to homes. Not so in the Seattle area. Consequently fewer real estate brokers and agents are members of the Realtor Organization here, than in many other parts of the Country.

Often the general public thinks "realtor" and real estate broker or agent are synonymous. They are not. Just as every tissue is not a "Kleenex", every agent is not a "realtor".

There is no single source that has all property for sale, including foreclosure property and For Sale by Owner properties. Better to use a brokerage site than Realtor .com in the area where you are looking, combined with Craigslist for For Sale by Owner properties.
Jurius,

What are you talking about Windermere feeds everything to Realtor.com! All my listings are there & those of everyother Windermere agent I know
No. Many companies do not feed into realtor.com. The NWMLS does not send a full feed to Realtor.com it is up to each Brokerage to do so. For that to happen all members must join the national Realtor association and many agents are opposed to this. There is a cost of $500 per year per agent, and much of this money is used for lobbiest and political action. You could have an agent who leans either Republican or Democrate, who is forced to comtribute to the national Association of realtors, who in turn uses there money to support there opposing political views.

For the Seattle area, the largest Brokerage which is Windermere does NOT send it's feed to Realtor.com. Neither does my company The Cascade Team, so Realtor.com coverage in the Seattle area is maybe around 50% complete.
Debbie, the Northwest MLS does not feed into realtor.com. and it's the largest MLS in this state. Northwest MLS members who want to be on realtor.com must submit or arrange a feed on their own and at their own expense.
Mack, are you saying that MLS does not feed or that companies don't use MLS?
Debbie
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
Absolutely! All Multiple listing services for real estate listings go to Realtor.com. Our marketing of real estate as real estate professionals goes to ALL major serach engines for real estate listings inclusing google. Realtor.com further feeds international sites as well. Some of us have additional exposure on Realtor.com and end up hitting over 350 web pages! Thank you for asking this question on Trulia which is fed thru major company websites. Hope this answers your question!
Debbie Albert
Coldwell Banker Residential