Market Conditions in Seattle>Question Details

Gary, Other/Just Looking in Edmonds, WA

Do Seattle home buyers consider Edmonds in their searches, or do they feel it's too far north?

Asked by Gary, Edmonds, WA Thu Aug 30, 2007

Answers

12
Unsually not. North of the county line seems so far away to some people. Having lived in Greenlake, I didn't know much about Snohomish county or the "north end". However, now that I live in Edmonds, I can see some advantages of looking north. My chiropractor was looking for a view property in the Seattle area - they were living on Mercer Island. They couldn't find a place that they liked and could afford. I suggested Edmonds for the views. Two weeks later, they had purchased a home!
Seattle home buyers should consider Edmonds; it's not that far, and definitely worth a commute. We live in Edmonds; my husband works in Bellevue, Issaquah, and downtown Seattle. He loves coming home to peaceful, quiet, beautiful Edmonds. We live in the Bowl and he can walk to the train station and take it to downtown Seattle. He can also catch the commuter bus right outside our house and be in downtown Seattle in half an hour. When driving, he can choose I-5 (several different exits) or 405 if he's headed to the East side. Our property is big (nearly 1/3 acre) and the house is roomy too (over 3200 sq. ft.) There are a lot of advantages to living in the Edmonds Bowl, not just for transportation options and property size, but also for the small-town feel of a safe, friendly neighborhood, the gorgeous views, the nice beaches and parks, the farmer's market and festivals, the ability to walk to it all... and we still have easy access to all the pluses of Seattle, which we take advantage of regularly. We'll miss Edmonds when our house sells (moving out of state).
Depends on the client. For the most part, Edmonds isn't a bargain. You pay a premium for the quaintness of Edmonds. Most of my clients who are looking in far-north Seattle will cross into Snohomish if the price is right, but Edmonds is farther west than cheaper homes in south Snohomish.
I think a lot has to do with the price range they are looking in. Crossing over the Snohomish County line often allows a Buyer to purchase more home for less money. If schools are a consideration several of the school districts just over that dividing line have fabulous reputations- so that might help too. Shopping, traffic, other services, parking, and availibility of public transportation might make it a no-brainer :)

If a client is open to the suggestion and the agent they are working with is familiar with the area and has been previewing homes then it is not out of line to think it may be a possibility!

Good Luck with your decision!
I love Edmonds and just moved back from Edmonds to Seattle after many years up there. While it isn't far as the crow flies, Edmonds is far enough from Seattle that most of my Seattle buyers won't consider that. However, for buyers that like the small town feel of Magnolia, I always recommend Edmonds to them and they are generally very amenable to it!
Many people who move to Seattle look north for better prices, more square footage and larger lots. Edmonds is a great locaton ,good schools, beautiful views, small town feel and easy to ge to downtown Seattle. It is worth chekcing out all the opitions. For more informaion go to my website, I have a direct lilnk about Edmonds. http://www.RogerSellsSeattle.com
When we moved to the Seattle are we started looking in Seattle and wound up buying in Edmonds. I just didn't think I would be happy with my neighbors living right on top of me. The houses were smaller for the money and generally much older. We looked at many houses where my husband couldn't even walk thru doorways without ducking (he is 6'5"). We moved to the Seaview area of Edmonds and got a house with a HUGE lot. It is safe and quiet. My husband commuted to the Fremont area and most days it wasn't too bad. It is much nicer than Lynnwood or most of Everett. The schools are good. If traffic stops on Highway 5 you can take Aurora or even the back streets. There is a mall and stuff for the kids to do. My brother lived by Green Lake and we couldn't even park near his house when we visited him unless the driveway was empty. I could not live that way.
Edmonds is :25 minutes to Seattle's Union Square in rush hour on express transit. Recent purchasers of 16 new homes in Edmonds worked out of the area, the majority working in downtown Seattle. Their price points were under $400k for which Seattle offers no reasonable new construction alternatives.
Web Reference: http://www.stanisenhath.com
Seattle and Edmonds are two different markets. However - a good agent will discuss all of the options with their buyers and sellers. I have a client that was looking for a view property in Seattle. When I discussed Edmonds with them, they were very interested and ended up purchasing a home - at less cost than a comparable Seattle property. There is also the question of Edmonds bowl or the remainder of Edmonds. I live and work in Edmonds if anyone has more questions.
I have a listing in north Shoreline and have really dealt with that "north" boundary. It really does depend on what people are looking for with their job. One thing to note though is school district. I have had many clients refuse to go outside of the Shoreline school district. It seems like the perfect location if people work downtown yet want their children in a really good school system.

I personally like Edmonds but I do think it can be a little north for some people. You might as well get more house for your dollar by moving to Lynnwood or South Everett.

Have a great weekend all!

Samuel Hilbert
http://www.agentsamuel.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2007
Too far north. Unless there is something special that you can play up to.
If I personally was looking at a house in "seattle" then edmonds is too far north. However, I have had clients that would have considered Shoreline and Lake Forest Park ...so Edmonds isn't that far off. Overall, I think it's too far north to be counted as "Seattle" but it's pretty subjective to the individual buyer.