Market Conditions in Ward 2>Question Details

Patrick Turn…, Both Buyer and Seller in Reno, NV

Custom home price per square foot?

Asked by Patrick Turner, Reno, NV Tue Aug 14, 2007

What is the current average price-per-square-foot for custom home construction for houses in the 3,500 to 4,000 square foot range in Reno?

Answers

14
Related to Incline Village, I actually ran average cost per square foot for newer construction (2000-2007) and came up with $659 per SF. This is due to custom nature of many new homes, engineering for snow loads, permitting/TRPA, etc. Many larger homes I consider best buys would cost $500 per sf- just to show you how much the cost can vary by area, even so close geographically! Read more at the post below...
Patrick,

Custom home prices vary wildly due to many variables, not the least of which is location. However, in order to provide you with some concrete numbers, let’s take a look at one of Reno’s larger custom home developments, ArrowCreek. ArrowCreek is a Master Planned Golf Community containing a nice mix of production, semi-custom, and custom homes. For the sake of this quick analysis I’ll use $1M as the cut-off between production and custom homes. Sure, a couple semi-custom homes may sneak into the mix, but at least this will provide you with a pretty good idea.

Recent ArrowCreek Solds (I’m going back 4 months for these figures)
Price median $/sq.ft. # homes Sold
$1.0M - $1.499M $312.65 (12 units sold)
$1.5M - $1.999M $365.79 (6 units sold)
$2.0M and up $406.79 (1 unit sold)

One thing to note: Reno doesn’t see many homes sell for over $2M. In fact, only 17 homes over $2M sold in the resale market in all of 2006. In the first half of 2007, we’ve had 9 homes sell for $2M or more. So, it looks like we’re on track for a similar total.

After I ran the above analysis for ArrowCreek, I decided to perform the same for all of Reno. The results are:
Price median $/sq.ft. # homes Sold
$1.0M - $1.499M $312.82 (34 units sold)
$1.5M - $1.999M $410.62 (17 units sold)
$2.0M and up $417.46 (8 units sold)

Hope this helps.
What is the current average price-per square-foot for custom home for houses in the 1,800 to 2,000 square foot in greenwood, Indiana?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
I know this is late, and you have more than likely already found your answer, but since I have been assisting a friend in researching construction cost for his new home i'l throw it out anyway. We have found for a 2500 to 3000 sq ft custom home is going to run him in the range of
$175 to $300 a sq ft. Many factors go into it ... Home Depot or Lowe's cabinets or custom design and built, laminate flooring or real hardwood or travertine tile. plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, etc. etc. etc.
It really depends on how "custom" you want. Your best bet is to get your design and talk with an architect to lay it out. Then talk with different contractors to find out there recommendations and present you with a itemized list of supplies, fixtures etc. based on those recommendations. Then pick the contractor works with best you best and start tweaking your plans. When you put together your budget add 15% to 20% for those last minute "You know I think I like this better" changes mid stream. Worst case scenerio, you can the extra on landscaping if you don't need it ;)

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 20, 2007
You should be able to build your custom home with top of the line product and appliances from $200 to $230 per sq. ft.

Anyone quoting you $300 to $500 are builders or real estate agents. This is unless your putting gold fixtures in every bath room and using gold leaf paint on the walls.

The insanity has got to stop. The bankers are not ripping people off its the builders and real estate agents.

good luck. if you have money you should be in the drivers seat.
Much depends same as pre-existing homes. What type of products, are used.

Your buyers agent is professional direct all your questions to who is representing you therefore you can confirm you are obtaining the best price the home purchase

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
What is your price per square foot for a custom built home on Walker Lake, Nevada 89415
we are looking for 3,000- 4,000 sq for home, it must have u-shape with each master wing having an on suit bath 2 baths for each of the 2 bedrooms in each wing .
High end custom home cost are about $300.00 per square foot and up.
source-creative developments inc. pickering ontario.
I think you are looking for http://building-cost.net/CornersType.asp
Web Reference: http://building-cost.net
I deal with high end custom homes and building costs can range from $200sf to $600sf depending on the area
Web Reference: http://www.robincoons.com
Clarifying question - If one were looking for one of the loal builders / developers just to build one of thier floor plan on land that you already had....it would seem to imply an $175 to $250 per sg ft for the 3500 sq ft range homes by one mid to higher end builders RB, Homecrafters, etc.

Is that the righ way to baseline semi custom contruction / materials and labor.

Said another way......how much gross profit is each one of the builders looking to make on a semi custom home in the south surburban area - arrowcreek, Montreux, St.James woods etc. in he ~3500 size range?
Average price per square foot isan interesting question for custom home construction due to the number of variables in the equation. The main vairables are lot location, lot size, ease of building, architectural complexity, and final selections made for hardscape, appliances, landscaping etc.

You can probably build something on a .5 acre lot that is easy to build on and acrchitecturally complex with moderate material seclection from the high $200 per square foot all the way up to around $600 for eleborate finsih and details.

If you have a specific area of Reno that you are interested in I can provide more details for that area..

John Graham
tahoejg@netzero.com
Yes, you are correct. These prices represent resale prices. I apologize for that. The prices I have heard for custom home construction range the high $200s to $310/sq.ft. What I hear from the builders is that it's the price of the land that really contributes to that number.
The costs listed here are for resale of custom homes, correct? I am looking for construction costs. Have you seen anything on the Web related to current construction cost per square foot for Reno northern Nevada?