J, Both Buyer and Seller in Pacifica, CA

Cost of new construction on sloped lot in Brisbane (empty lot vs addition)?

Asked by J, Pacifica, CA Mon Jun 16, 2008

My husband and I are trying to decide whether it would be more cost effective to buy an empty lot and build or to buy a fixer-upper and add an addition. Can you give me a rough estimate on the cost of new construction in both scenarios? We're looking at the hills (ie, sloped lots) in Brisbane, CA. Lots seem to be running ~$350-400K for

Answers

2
I've built several homes in Brisbane and know the area well.

The information you request is proprietary, but I will tell you that there is no simple answer for you and assumptions are dangerous. Every home, every design, every lot, required street improvements, are all different. Level lots are the least expensive to build, downhill the next, and the most expensive are uphill lots. City design regulations can severly limit what can be built on a particular lot.

Before you even start, you will be out over $100k just to get your building permit.

There is a home being built near the 300 block of Humboldt that has taken the owner 3 years so far and he is still not done. He will be into it over 2 million by the time he is done, not including the lot. I remember him saying that he would build for $700,000; roughly $150 a square foot. It has turned out to be more like $450 a foot for him.

I know of properties that might work for you. Both fixers and lots.

Call me and we can talk more about the costs related to the properties in question. 650.520.7483

Good Hunting,

Joel Diaz
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 5, 2009
Slopped lot usually will require retaining walls and foundation that will support slope, It could run very high. The construction cost will be based on the quality of construction and finishes. Current cost in San Francisco -Bay Area runs $ 150-$ 300 per sq. ft that you need to add the cost of retaining walls.

Gene
http://www.gemconsultants.net