runpopsrun, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Chula Vista,mfgr homes

Asked by runpopsrun, San Diego, CA Mon Apr 29, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3110503733-3129-Calle-Abajo-1…

Answers

5
John Arendsen’s answer
Hector, please don't paint an entire indusrty with such a broad brush. FYI there are a lot of very sensible manufactured home investments out there right now. If a rent/lease park/community is in the path of progress MH's can realize reasonable appreciation not depreciation.

If the MH is in a resident owned community i.e a condo conversion, subdivision, or planned unit development (PUD) or on a private lot/parcel they also realize fair market value. About the only time they will not hold up their value is when and if the MH is on a 250k private lot/parcel and the nearest comp is in a 50k MH park/community.

To prevent this from happening a buyer of a lot/parcel could choose to purchase a "Modualr" home instead of a "Manufactured" Home whereby they would then be able to use local comps in the same neighborhood instead of having to use comps from the nearest MH park/community.

Where I caution my clients is in purchasing a MH in an old run down park/community with lot's of old PRE HUD "Mobile" Homes/trailers. This is where the bad rap comes from and how folks can get hurt if they're not careful.

There are folks in this marked who don't necessarily want to buy a home or a condo for one reason or another. Maybe they don't want to share a common wall and grounds with others because they want their own privae driveway, yard, storage shed, etc.

Then there are those who don't want to be shackled with a mortgage, taxes and all the other responsibilities of a property mortgage. I work with seniors/Baby Boomers regulary who are downsizing after 40 years of home ownership and love the idea of purchasing a MH in a nice upscal rent/lease community or resident owned development.

As a Manufacture home Dealer & developer and a real estate broker I want what's best for my client. Not what's best for me. I try to educate them on the positive and negatives of both lifestyles and will spend time showing both. But I would never discourage someone from purchasing a MH if that's what they truly want. In fact that's a good way to push a client away from you in a hurry.

http://www.onthelevelcontractors.com

http://www.onthelevelcontractors.com
Why went when you can buy? Those manufactured homes don't appreciate - they depreciate, and you still have to 'park' those things. The value is in the land & improvements

Some people don't know how much they can afford or that they can be homeowners.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
2240 Otay lakes Rd.
Chula Vista, CA 91915
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
efax 619-270-2516
Not quite sure what your question is but if you're thinking about purchasing the listing I just observed I'd proceed with caustion. Please read the following information. A little wordy but very informative.

You really should start with the park manager of the park/communities you are interested in. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rent/lease park/community.

Be wary of any manufactured home built before June 15, 1976 as they are "PRE HUD" homes and will be very difficult if not impossible to finance. Additionally many if not most PRE HUD homes were built using caustic and carcinogenic chemicals i.e. formaldehyde and asbestos.

But before you purchase any manufactured home you should have the home inspected by an experienced manufactured home inspector and not just any home inspector.Make sure the home is level and that the pier and pad assemblies are in good shape.

Be sure the vapor barrier and insulation are in tact and not ripped, torn or lying on the ground. Have the inspector look for drainage issues i.e. standing water, soil erosion, expansive (clay soil), rusted and deteriorating piers and dry rotted or decomposing wood pads supporting the piers.

Most importantly make sure the home has an approved set of Earthquake Resistant Bracing (ERBS) installed under it as much of California is in a Zone 4 seismic area:

(http://www.google.com/search?q=seismic+zone+3+map+for+califo…)

Feel free to contact us should have any more questions: 800 909-1110, Cell: 760 815-6877. Email: onthelevel@cox.net. Or log onto any of our very user friendly websites:
http://www.mh-processing.com
Web Reference: http://www.onthelevelcontractors.com
Good Afternoon,
What is your question?

​Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®

McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
brokermcallister@gmail.com EMAIL