Market Conditions in Novato>Question Details

Kim Osmer, Other/Just Looking in Novato, CA

Can I get a better view of sales in 94947 this year - ideally 1st quarter 08 for a 4 bdrm home. My home is

Asked by Kim Osmer, Novato, CA Mon Oct 27, 2008

in Novato Highlands on Santa Maria Drive and we want to understand value of home now.

Answers

6
Kim, first I would consider zillow for entertainment purposes only. I would not rely on them for information of any kind.

Now, if you follow my blog you can see month by month results, drilled down to individual cities.

http://kelleyeling.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/marin-county-and…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Kim,

Stephen and Sylvia have provided good information. Go to http://www.zillow.com, enter your address and you'll get a BALLPARK price substantiated by recent comparable sales.

If you're selling understand that it is a buyer's market and that only the least expensive in any segment of the market are selling - there is lots of competition. Prospective buyers will likely limit there searching to best buys given the size of the inventory, there are over 60 active single family listings between 2,000 and 3,000 sq. ft. in Novato.

Best fortune.
Here are the early comps in the 1st quarter that are close comps to your home. Your home has more sq footage(2386) than most of these. The other factors in determining value is upgrades, view, location and useable level yard. I don't think the assessors office looks at value the same as an agent or buyer would so if you are trying to lower your tax bases these should be fine. Some of these actually have more useable level yard than your home but not the same location and view. Things have actually gotten worst since the first of the year so values are some what lower than these. Good luck and hope this helps.

1 20729275 Residential Sold 37 Devonshire Dr Novato 3 2 1800 $635,000
2 20720384 Residential Sold 801 Paxton Villa Ct Novato 4 3 2145 $639,000
3 20739758 Residential Sold 18 Devonshire Dr Novato 2 3 1953 $640,000
4 20725853 Residential Sold 4 Gregor Ln Novato 4 2 2132 $725,000
5 20740219 Residential Sold 40 Paladini Dr Novato 3 2 2048 $840,000
Hi Kim:

I am very familiar with Novato Highlands since I cover that area and I have many friends who live right there.

Depending on your purpose for the question, but if you are thinking about having your property reassessed; I think $750K to $800K is a safe number to use. There are several 4 bedroom homes on and/or around Santa Maria which closed around that time; a couple are smaller and are not nearly as nice as yours, not to mention the amenities you have.

The difficult part is there are a couple of bank owned homes there right now, which was short sale for a while and ended up being REO. This, as you understand, artificially drives the price down.

If you or others need more detailed info and/or comp on this, please do email or call me - Although I would not be surprised if you know the area very well also!

Sylvia Barry, Marin Realtor
Frank Howard Allen Realtors
(415) 717-0293
Sylvia@FirstMarinHomes.com
http://www.FirstMarinHomes.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Hi Kim,
I would love to help you determine the value of your home. I will have to ask you a few more questions to be as accurate as possible. I also have some charts that may be of interest to you.

Look forward to speaking, Leslie

Leslie Jacobson
McGuire Real Estate
415.686-2664
Kim,

If you contact us directly and provide us with your e-mail address we would be happy to provide you with a list of comparable properties to review and give you a price range of what we feel the home was valued at in the first quarter of 2008. We can also give you a current value if you would like. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kathy & Mary Kay Yamamoto