Market Conditions in Boston>Question Details

Chris, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Buyers market or Sellers market?

Asked by Chris, Boston, MA Tue Apr 3, 2012

Answers

27
THis is a buyers market. The rates are low and the prices are at the lowest we have seen. If you need any help buying or selling on Cape Cod feel free to give Stevens & Manley a call at 508-648-0013. We are here to help with all your real estate questions.
Thank for your answers! Keep them coming!!! Remember ~The cape cod market is booming! Take advangate of the interest rates & prices! Now is the time to buy!! Call us and we guide you through the process!!
Flag Wed Oct 17, 2012
It was a buyer's market.
Flag Fri Aug 31, 2012
I agree buyers market!
Flag Mon Aug 20, 2012
This is a question that will be valid for a while longer:

California was one of the four hardest-hit-states by foreclosures;
and we are past the bottom. Affordable homes are getting multiple offers and the Inventory is really, really low.
Getting much better in Schererville Indian.
Depends on exact town. Boston is somewhere in the middle with stable prices, low interest rates and high rents but some specific neighborhoods are very competitive (a lot of multi bid scenarios)

http://territory.com/search?search_string=BOSTON&min_pri…
Web Reference: http://territory.com
For us it is a buyers market! Thanks to Stevens & Manley Real Estate, we got a fantastic cape cod home. Thank you Scott & Kriss!!! I would recommend you to friends & Family!!!
As we found out it is a buyers market.
From th articles I have read on your blog, I would say it is a buyers market.
You are correct! Thank you for reading our blog!! Feel free to share with your family & friends!
Flag Thu Aug 9, 2012
I would think a buyers market
in the micro economy of Boston proper there is a severe stock shortage which has heated up the market quite a bit. This has created a bottle neck in the buying process and put the control in the sellers hands. I would say Boston is one of the few places in the country that is a sellers market. There are a few particular qualifiers on that. If a property is priced right and is in the highly sought after price point in an area. If that is the case get ready for a feeding frenzy. Multiple offers the first weekend, people bringing a home inspector along so they can submit a clean offer, ect. Overpriced properties still sit stagnant on the market though. This is because people are looking for homes. There is nowhere near as much speculative buying of condos.
Web Reference: http://mybostoncondo.com
Obviously, this question depends on many variables, beginning with what specific area and property is being considered. Providing a quick answer - without adequate research and representation - would be a bit foolish (though we'd all love an easy answer to that question in this quirky market!!). Partner with a agent who can help you work through all the issues at hand. Of course, I am happy to hear from you if you are in need of professional counsel.
http://www.BetterBostonHomes.com
Flag Sat Apr 14, 2012
Chris,

Still a buyer's market... BUT prices are so attractive and mortgage rates so low that we are very busy in the Berkshires and have seen more bidding wars in the last 6 months than in the past 5 years.

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Berkshire Property Agents
It is still a Buyes market.
It's still a buyers market in terms of value (not inflated). While certain areas are experiencing the seasonal busy market with lots of multi bid scenarios, generally speaking it's a buyers world. Remember real estate is hyper local making it hard to give blanket advice. The most concise way to answer your questions is if you gave us a specific town or neighborhood. That way we could pull sales statistics and calculate absorption rates to get an idea of the exact market trend.

Hope that helps!

http://territory.com/
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
In the top school district towns in the Metro West areas around Boston it is a sellers market for homes priced between $400 - $600K. Multiple offers at asking price this spring and selling within the first 10 days!
My opinion right now is that, while it has definitely been a buyers market for the recent past, the tides are changing in my area. Inventory is way down and I have quite a few buyers who really can't find offerings in their price range. When they do hit the market, I'm seeing more and more 'bidding' wars.

Now, even at that prices are certainly still low. It is my personal opinion that this is the reason inventory is still so low. Sellers, unless they need to, seem to be a bit unwilling to to list their home at today's prices. Again, just a personal opinion :-).
Definitely sellers market - here in Silicon Valley we have less than one month of inventory in most cities.
Particularly in the waterfront areas of Rhode Island, properties are in demand. Home prices have come down from where they were a few years ago but have leveled off. When a home is properly priced, there are freqently multiple offers on listed homes. Coupled with low interest rates, things are shaping up to be the best of both worlds: a buyer's market and seller's market.
In Orlando,it's more of a sellers market. however, in the outskirts such as Oviedo it's still a buyers market.
It depends on what type of property you are looking for and in what town. In Somerville, Cambridge and the contiguous communities where I conduct most of my business, it's definitely a seller's market. We do frequently see multiple offers on correctly priced homes, so it's important for would-be buyers to act quickly if they find a home that they like.
I have seen a lot of bidding wars lately!
A balanced real estate market is when the inventory of homes available reaches a 6 month supply....inventories over that are considered buyer's markets.......inventories under that are considered seller's markets. There are degrees of both......for instance, if the available home supply is 12 months, there are far more sellers than buyers, so prices will be negatively affected as is the case in many of today's markets. Understanding your local market and the various niche neighborhoods will help you understand your market. I work in the Dallas market where we have many niche market areas....some doing better, some doing worse, than the average for the area. We are seeing much more activity over recent months and are approaching a possible sellers market very soon. I welcome questions so don't hesitate to contact me, regardless of where you are located.
Karen Anderson
30 years real estate experience
Real Estate Degree
Interior Design Degree
Certified Historical Specialist
214-274-8085
In general it is a neutral market. The properties that are selling are those that are priced right. Some sellers are staying out of the market because the right price is too low for them. Some buyers are staying out of the market because of their fear that prices will fall further. The buyers that have done their homework, are preapproved and working with a real estate agent are the ones that are buying right now. Prices may fall further (depending on location) but interest rates and lending parameters only have one direction that they can move - up and away from being on the side of the buyer. There are great rates available right now on the 30 year fixed mortgage. How much longer will we have the 30 year fixed mortgage - banks cannot continue to loan long term on that basis. Many other countries no longer offer that program. Today is a great day to buy for the right buyer and a great day to sell for the right seller. You can reach me at jamesfurlong20@gmail.com.
Really depends on the area and if there is a bank owned home on every corner.
Depends on the town, the condition of the home and the price of a home.
It is always a buyers market for buyers who know where to look for the best deals and for undervalued real estate. The herd runs to bidding wars and huge open houses, while sly investors buy real estate that is not on the market, or was incorrectly marketed. Feel free to contact me at doug@abostonloft.com to be lead to some bargains. Meanwhile on the selling side, I just listed and sold another property for just over asking price in 4 days on the market. It's all about perception! Good luck to all Brokers!
Depends on town/neighborhood and price range.
Its more of a buyers market and leaning towards a neutral market. If the economy stays the course this will be a year of the markets leveling out in most areas.