Market Conditions in 11566>Question Details

skilada, Home Buyer in Merrick, NY

Assuming house is competitively priced what is average number of showings a seller should expect in first week on market?

Asked by skilada, Merrick, NY Fri Mar 1, 2013

House is on higher end for North Merrick, priced at about $650,000. We've only had 2 showings in the first week. Is this what you would expect?

Answers

9
Jill Sackler’s answer
That price is somewhat high for North Merrick unless you're talking about new or relatively new construction. The first week that your house comes on the market is when you can expect the most showings. There's no set number, but know that people who've been keeping an eye on the neighborhood and are familiar with all the inventory will jump at the chance to see what else is new. If you're not getting that much interest, it may be an indication that your property is not perfectly priced. Remember that buyers buy when they recognize value.
The amount of showings per week is difficult to estimate. The pool for $650,000 buyers is less than the pool of buyers for say, a $450,000 house.

I know this is not exactly answering your question, but the most activity is usually in the first 2 weeks.
Keep in mind, that last week was supposed to be winter break, and even though the schools were open a lot of families still went on vacation.

Give it another week.
I do not believe anybody can answer that with certainty. It depends on so many different factors. Just be patient and make surenyour agent is marketing your home
If you are listed with an agent, you really should be having a discussion with him/her; if not consider the idea. Make sure you are in fact competitively priced by reviewing comps, recently sold similar properties in the immediate area; also make sure the marketing maximizes your exposure, as plenty of buyer activity does exist. Regardless the number of showings, keep in mind that a home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it; it doesn’t matter what the seller needs or potential buyers can afford to spend. Market conditions do matter as does the immediacy for a transaction to take place....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 1, 2013
Yes that can be expected, you have to remember sometimes the weather plays a role in buyers coming out when its too cold. Another thing is, its a buyers market regardless if a house is priced according to the market; so that can mean there is more supply for buyers to see. Honestly, it doesn't matter how many times the house is shown because it takes one buyer to buy the house. Maybe the next two showing the right buyer will come along, Stay positive and hopeful the right buyer will come along and remember it has nothing to do with how many times you show the house its getting the right buyer to buy your house! All the best Jeannette Batsikas
Thank you for your answer. You were right that it only takes one buyer to buy the house. We did sell our house and went to contract in April. It was actually the first person that saw our house that came back with an offer and ended up buying it. Thanks.
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013
Hello Skilada,
There is alot of activity in the real estate market today. Good inventory is low and interest rates are low. I guide my sellers to prepare their home in the best showing condition possible and tailor my marketing and promotions of each listing accordingly. With those conditions in place I have had much more than 2 showings in a week. Instead, it is not surprising to receive an offer within the first week.
Yet I do not like to generalize the performance of each listing because each home and seller have different circumstances to contend with. That is why I handle each client and project accordingly.
Sellers need to have confidence in their agent (assuming the agent has the expertise) and listen to their recommendations carefully.
Marie Salerno...Your Connection to Real Estate!
Hello. You should consult with your Agent if your home is currently listed with one. For a higher priced home, the amount of showings may be less than a lower priced home around $400,000, lets say. However, it all depends on your market. You should ask your Agent what they think about the number of showings you have had so far. They are there to provide you with feedback!

You also ought to know that the market determines whether your home is competitively priced or not, and that the first few days your home is on the market, is the most imporant. If it is, competitively priced, you should not worry, and should be anticipating offers. Again, this conversation should be discussed with your Agent.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
(631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
I think that's a fair number of showings consiering price range and location. Talk to your agent about how he is marketing the house. You should understand the markting strategy and how it relates to your home.
Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, BPOR, GREEN
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
My challenge with your question is the assumption that the house is competitively priced. And does the listing price take into consideration the condition of property. I believe the market is strong enough that competitively priced homes in North Merrick should have more showings than you stated. I would suggest discussing the price with your agent.