BillKelly, Other/Just Looking in Staten Island, NY

Are some Realtors requiring prospective buyers to produce ID at Open House?

Asked by BillKelly, Staten Island, NY Fri Oct 4, 2013

Heard due to security concerns in some markets Realtors are requiring buyers to show Id at open house or are turning people away that are not willing to comply.

Answers

16
Thomas S Zanata’s answer
Thomas S Zanata, Agent, Staten Island, NY
I think this is an idea worth exploring, a serious and truly engaged / potential buyer should have no objection to producing identification to attend an open house. We need to look out for our sellers' best interests and this is yet another way to do that.
This is a security issue, especially now that RX drugs are being so highly abused. But the id requirement has to be posted on the Open House sign on the front door so that it applies to all visitors. By the way, all visitors should always be asked to 'sign in, Please!'
In most cases no, but if they ask for ID, that should be for security purposes only and, perhaps, according to sellers wishes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Some Realtors are requiring buyers to show photo ID at open houses. Also, some sellers are requiring agents to show their NYS issued photo license before they allow the to show the house. Both requests are not unreasonable and done for safety concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
I haven't heard of this but it sounds like it may be a good idea,
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
I have not heard of that happening but have heard stories of people coming to open houses to steal items. There have been groups of people who go to open houses and one person distracts the agent and the other looks for something of values to take.
A sad situation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
Billy,

I've heard of it but never seen it done myself.

Right or wrong, I'm sure this is being done with the best intentions. People take whatever measures that are necessary to protect themselves and their customers. What's wrong with asking a total stranger seeking passage into someone's home to verify who they say they are?

"An ounce of prevention......"

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
I have not heard of this before!
Hi BillKelly. I'm glad to see this trend evolve related to open houses. For too long the lack of agents utilizing security and safety measures with open houses and random private showings to the general public has been way understated. I know a couple agents in the industry that had what I refer to as safety "close calls,". The two agents had security and safety backup plans that actually detered what could have been otherwise undesirable circumstances. Never underestimate what walks through a seller's front door at open houses...just be prepared to act if needed. Thanks do the post.
I have never heard of anyone doing that in our area. People don't even like to even give us their names let alone providing an ID. I would imagine in different areas of the country, this may be required due to safety reasons.
I haven't heard of this in my area but it's not a bad idea.
Yes, Brokers and Sales agents are responsible for the home owners property while conducting the open house, therefore it is important for the responsible party to produce a valid open hose sign in sheet if a theft occurs, or if an injury is claimed.
These are some great answers below:
I haven't hear of that here in Metro Detroit area but it's a great idea for security.
Yes it should be posted and not allowed to be used for leads (only if lookers agree).

I have my sellers ask agents for their license/pocket card and verify it with their business card as with the appointment email they received. Or the neighbors if the house is vacant.

NOT to be funny but there was a episode in season 4 (I think) of Breaking Bad where the sister-n-law was stealing from open house. The Realtor tackled her and called the police. Her purse was full of stolen items from several open houses.
Being a small women 4' 10", I want to protect myself and clients.
Flag Tue Oct 8, 2013
no. The only reason might be to capture their information for a lead.
BillKelly,
Probably not a good strategy to do an "Open House" and make it difficult to see. Agent showings are generally with pre-screened and pre-approved buyers. If the seller has security concerns, they should hide their valuables. I commonly go over this with all my clients, never have anything out someone could put in their pockets and walk out with. You may not notice for a few days if its not something you use regularly and then it's gone.
Actually in some instances the seller(s) makes such a request and the agent complies....
We don't and I've not heard of it before