Market Conditions in 27703>Question Details

Toni, Both Buyer and Seller in Durham County, NC

Are people seeking 3 car garages more these days?

Asked by Toni, Durham County, NC Wed Dec 15, 2010

Answers

14
Most two car garages will not fit two cars these days. Most people have SUV's, Trucks, etc... I have not run into people that specifically asked for a three car garage, just one that has higher ceilings and is deeper. With that being said, price point is a factor.
I would say yes, since from what I've seen there are more 3-car garage homes being built and sold now than there were in 1980, 1990, 2000, etc.

Comparing to 5 years ago is a tougher question, and I would say less people are looking for them in this comparison.
Hi Toni,

Although it's true that it really just depends on the buyer and who wouldn't prefer 3 to 2 garage spaces I think the answer to your question is - no, these days people aren't seeking 3 car garages.

If there is any trend, it's that people are downsizing and demanding less and actually preferring it. More space means more hassle, more cost, more in taxes, more in energy costs etc. There really is no limit to what people may want but I would say the trend is now away from the McMansions and more towards location.

Hope this helps.
So far everyone has said basically the same thing--depends on the price point, location and size. I can tell you that I personally would love, love, love a 3 car garage because then I could park 1 or 2 cars in the garage instead of the driveway. If you drive around and look at different neighborhoods, you'll see that most 1 car garages have all the cars parked in the driveway or on the street. two car garages have 1 car parked in the garage, and 3 car garages are used for 2 cars. Somehow we all seem to need that extra space for our "stuff" that doesn't fit nicely into our homes.

Ask my husband, he'd definitely pay for a 3rd garage. Hope this helps you.
Web Reference: http://CrazyVivHomes.com
Well who really knows..... It depends on the size of the home, its price range..... etc.
Usually a high end property over 1 million 2 million etc. 3 and 4 car garages are not unusual especially in
areas with heavy winter weather..... One wants to assume that a home with 5 or 6 bedrooms may have more than 2 drivers, more than 2 cars....

But in general buyers prefer a 2 car garage to a one car garage and 2 1/2 is nice for extra storage

Check out your area and look at the size of homes, and pricing and how many garages they usually have, a local experienced Realtor in your area can also help you with the information.... but most of the times
the size of the garage is not the most important point for most buyers, location, schools, upgrades, floor plan etc. etc. and lot size may be more important as long as it is a 2 car garage or 2 1/2

Take care
Edith YourRealtor4Life and Chicago and Northern Illinois Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
I think only my husband wants three car garages.. What I have seen typically is consumers want two car garages.
well, buyers with more than 2 cars are!
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
As a custom home builder, we work with both existing floor plans and design/build options. Over the past few years, we've seen a trend towards more cost conscious homes with less "unnecessary" space. There are still homebuyers that choose three car garages, but for many the three car garage is removed from the "must have" list in favor of energy efficiency and other higher priority features. An oversized two car garage or a garage with a dedicated storage area, however, is a welcome change from a typical 19'x19' garage found in many first homes.
Web Reference: http://www.stantonhomes.com
In twenty years of working full time as a Realtor, I can only think of a couple of times Buyers have specified that they need/want a three or more car garage. Certainly I've never had a Buyer complain that there was "too much garage space" either.

What I have come across more frequently is Buyers who need a garage that either has a 9' high door for their SUV with rooftop carrier mounted on, or a garage that's deep enough for their truck or Suburban style SUV. Many garages are simply not deep enough to handle these oversized vehicles particularly if they have a hitch mounted on them.

I expect over the long term to see Buyers focusing more on quality and location and less on size when it comes to homes. Many of the largest homes I've seen are in my opinion have lousy floor plan and while the house may be 4500 square feet or more, it's got lots of wasted space. While properly designed homes of 3000 square feet or less actually "live larger"

There will always be buyers who want to impress, Bigger Home, Biggest Garage etc and those that simply have lots of toys, be it a boat, snow mobiles, ATV whatever that they want to keep in the garage.

Just for the record I live here in Durham I have a two car garage, and in the past 6.5 years that I've been in this home my wife and I have never had our cars inside the garage. We use it mainly for our gardening stuff, left over building materials from building projects I've done, etc.
Hi Toni,

I think it really depends on the price range as to wether or not a buyer is looking or expects a 3 car garage. Once you get over about 500K it becomes more of a issue for a buyer. The higher the price over that figure the more it becomes expected that a 3 car will be present. Hope that answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Fritz Hine
Coldwell Banker HPW Realtors
Durham NC
I think it depends on the market. Garages are not as important to buyers in the Carolinas as they are in colder climates. That said, there are certain high end buyers who request three car garages. There is a trend that buyers are looking for smaller properties, downsizing their spaces and more often than not, 2 car garage is just fine.
Hi Toni.
I think this goes more to a buyer's expectations, rather than what they are seeking. At a certain "luxury" price point (which varies from area to area), the buyer will expect a 3 car garage...even if they don't need one at that point.
In the more "usual" or middle price ranges, a 3 car garage isn't really an asset, as most buyers don't expect it. They would prefer interior living space to the extra garage.

In the higher price ranges, they want it all!
Hi Toni, I agree with the prior poster, for larger homes at higher price points - especially new(er) hoems, buyers tend to look for that 3rd bay.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Serivce
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Toni, When the Buyer is looking for a larger home Yes they always seem to prefer 3 car garage. Buyers looking for smaller space usually 1 car sometimes ask for 2.

Hope that helps
All the Best

Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net