DJ Lamb, Other/Just Looking in Midland, NC

Anyone familiar with Land Patents?

Asked by DJ Lamb, Midland, NC Tue Apr 2, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/homes/North_Carolina/Charlotte/sold/58…

Answers

1
Good afternoon, Mike:
The process of patenting land in North Carolina was not complex. Anyone wanting to patent land submitted an application (also called a land entry) to a land office. The land officer then issued a warrant. Land officers included the secretary of state (1669–1776), the agents of Earl Granville (1748–76), or the county entry taker (1778–present). The warrant was taken to a surveyor who surveyed the land and sketched a plat (map) of the claim. The plat was then filed in the land office or, after 1777, recorded by the county register of deeds, and a patent for the land was issued and recorded. Land grants and related indexes are available at the North Carolina State Archives (see [North Carolina Archives, Libraries, and Societies]). If you write to the archives, furnish the full name of the grantee and the county in which the grant was made. Detailed instructions for requesting information by mail, fax or online, visit this section of the archive’s website http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/mail.htm. The Granville grants and other miscellaneous papers have been indexed and can be accessed by MARS, a database of the North Carolina State Archives online at mars.archives.ncdcr.gov/BasicSearch.aspx; the Search Room at the archives has a card catalog of grants of deeds. The FHL has this collection on 522 reels of microfilm. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 2, 2013
I appreciate it. I'll go back and check those sources. I am merely claiming the Rights on the current, existing LP. I was told the BLM had it, so I am trying to pinpoint which dept/corporation has it stored and order certified copies of it. If anyone has actually done this, I would be interested in "talking" with them.
Flag Tue Apr 2, 2013