Agent2Agent in 19087>Question Details

____________…, Home Buyer in Texas

Agents: listing or buying

Asked by __________________, Texas Tue Jan 13, 2009

Do most of the agents in the suburban Philadelphia area spend more time as listing agents or as buyer agents? Do they generally prefer to do one over the other?

Answers

4
Not usually if they are buying and selling in the same geographic area, unless one or other of the agents specifically deals with just listing or buying. Some teams may assign a different agent when you sell and when you buy. Here are some questions to ask any realtor you are thinking of working with.

Questions to Ask When Choosing a REALTOR
1. How long have you been in residential real estate sales? Is it your full-time job? (While experience is no guarantee of skill, real estate, like many other professions, is mostly learned on the job.)
2. What designations do you hold? (Designations, such as GRI and CRS, which require that real estate professionals take additional, specialized real estate training, are held by only about one-quarter of real estate practitioners.)
3. How many homes did you and your company sell last year?
4. How many days did it take you to sell the average home? How did that compare to the overall market?
5. How close to the initial asking prices of the homes you sold were the final sale prices?
6. What types of specific marketing systems and approaches will you use to sell my home? (Look for someone who has aggressive, innovative approaches, not just someone who’s going to put a sign in the yard and hope for the best.)
7. Will you represent me exclusively, or will you represent both the buyer and the seller in the transaction? (While it’s usually legal to represent both parties in a transaction, it’s important to understand where the practitioner’s obligations lie. A good practitioner will explain the agency relationship to you and describe the rights of each party. It’s also possible to insist that the practitioner represent you exclusively.)
8. Can you recommend service providers who can assist me in obtaining a mortgage, making repairs on my home, and other things I need done? (Keep in mind here that real estate professionals should generally recommend more than one provider and should tell you if they receive any compensation from any provider.)
9. What type of support and supervision does your brokerage office provide to you? (Having resources, such as in-house support staff, access to a real estate attorney, or assistance with technology, can help a real estate professional sell your home.)
10. What’s your business philosophy? (While there’s no right answer to this question, the response will help you assess what’s important to the real estate practitioner—fast sales, service, etc.—and determine how closely the practitioner’s goals and business emphasis mesh with your own.)
11. How will you keep me informed about the progress of my transaction? How frequently? Using what media? (Again, this is not a question with a correct answer, but that one reflects your desires. Do you want updates twice a week or don’t want to be bothered unless there’s a hot prospect? Do you prefer phone, e-mail, or a personal visit?)
12. Could you please give me the names and phone numbers of your three most recent clients?
Is it frequent then that a client will engage the representation of different agents on both the buying and selling side?
The answer to your question is very relative,it depends on the agent,some of them like to be Listing agent while others like to represent Buyers,others like myself like both sides of the business.
I think the important thing you need to look at is not only what agents prefer,but what they can really offer to the general public,their qualification,services,professionality and level of production on both sides of the transaction.
You might also want to check if they hold a particular designation allowing them to be extra-trained in representing Clients.
I don't think there is one preferred answer to your question, many agents like working with buyers but obviously if offered a listing will take it. It is often taught that if you have listings you will gain more clients as you hold open houses and have members of the public contact you because of marketing, signs and advertising of your listing leading to buyer clients.

I like working with both buyers and sellers, however I prefer listings because if marketed correctly most homes will sell. Marketing includes setting a price as well as advertising, holding open houses, distributing information on the home over the internet etc. You need all that to reach the fun part negotiation over price and terms.
Web Reference: http://www.VandekarTeam.com