Market Conditions in Boston>Question Details

Jodi Andersen, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Affordable Boston-area towns to consider?

Asked by Jodi Andersen, Boston, MA Tue Aug 25, 2009

I am looking to buy a condo in the Boston area or a suburb. I am single and my budget is >180k. This is a challenge. Ideally I would like to live downtown, but at a minimum I would like to live in an area that is safe, convenient to both the city and to Waltham and has a little bit to offer residents by way of character, features and activities. Ideally, a spot filled with 30-something professionals. For example, Somerville, Arlington or Watertown would be fine for me but finding a decent sized place in this price range seems like it will be a challenge.

Are there other towns I should consider? Willing to travel further from the city if I have to.

Answers

7
Jodi,

I would say looking at Waltham, Watertown, Somerville, Meford, and Melrose could be worth while. Towns like Natick, Norwood, and Canton have condos and might only fit part of what you want in a town.

Within the City of Boston, I you would find some options in Allston and Brighton.

When our clients are in a similar position as you. They know the price but not the location. We take them to a few different types of areas, see condos, and tell them about the area. Once you do that you will begin to see what you like in a condo and a neighborhood. That will then add or remove towns from you list. After a couple times of those types of visits you will quickly learn what are you want to focus.

So getting an agent that knows the Metro Boston area will be helpful for you.

Web Reference: http://www.dwell360.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 27, 2009
How about Melrose as an option, nice area, commuter rail to Boston, close to areas for walking and hiking and close to 93/128! Be careful in the price point for forcosures and short sales as there may be a long time before the bank gets back to you! How about Woburn?

Number of bedrooms, baths, parking????????
Hi Jodi,
Your price point does limit you, but I think you would like Roslindale. The village has gone through a Renaissance with many hip restaurants. In addition you have the Arboredum and great transportation into Boston. I could give you information on the $8000 federal tax credit which would stretch your budget.
Finally, I I am a local accreidted buyer's broker who lives in the area. Good luck with your search.
Web Reference: http://www.MonroeHeyman.com
Hi Jodi, I found a couple of properties in Brighton that meet your criteria price. It's a great town between Waltham and downtown; probably only one bedrooms but with enough space to entertain.

Let me know if you want me to send you some listings.

Good Luck

Nicolas Uribe
(617) 794-9000
nicolas@onlinebostonproperties.com
Jodi,

I am a Buyers agent here in Boston and would love to help!

Searching for a home in this price bracket certainly can present some challenges.... BUT IT CAN BE DONE. Ideally you would like to stay in side the I-95/Rt-128 Corridor?

Check out this link: http://bit.ly/14E5pS

With in your search criteria there are over a 100 properties that potentially could be a fit for you!

The CondoDomain team will do everything we can to help find you a home that is right for you.

Look forward to working with you.

Tim

Tim Bottomley
CondoDomain
319 A Street Front
3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02210
877.852.6636 · 603.380.2057 cell · Fax 617.507.8447
tim@CondoDomain.com
Web Reference: http://condoDomain.com
Hi Jodi,

I think you should consider E. Boston, JP, and Roslindale as affordable options. Right on a street that I live on a condo just came on the market in E. Boston, 3 blocks to waterfront parks and to T- a 3 bedroom with parking for $135,000! This is a total steal. If you are interested in speaking further, you can reach me at 857-294-9994