Mark, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

should I use purchase wood laminate flooring or carpet for a rental unit in in Oakland?

Asked by Mark, Oakland, CA Tue May 22, 2012

I'm concerned about wear and tear, cost and what's most attractive to prospective tenants. I haven't purchased the condo yet, but am in contract. Also, if you recommend carpet, what type and color and the same goes for wood laminate flooring - color and type would you recommend? This is for a small 650 square feet apartment in Adam's Point area of Oakland.

Answers

5
Wood laminate flooring has a much cleaner look to potential buyers. It often makes a unit look upgraded and can appeal to buyers who are looking to pay a little more for an updated unit. If you do rent to renters that have animals it is easier to clean. Replacing carpet every time a renter leaves can become very costly. I think that a mahogany or cherry wood laminate flooring would be the route to go.
Good laminate floor will last and last and last. So many choices today especially when it comes to patterns. Tenants aren't always careful with rental units, and can damage the carpet and as such will require replacement.

The problem is, they also tend to be very noisy. So if you're buying the condo, and it is above another unit, the condo CC&Rs may prohibit this type of floor.

Consider other options like rubber tiles that look like slate. Because it was rubber, it was quiet and resilient...and looked great. I had a client put this in her loft and it looked like the real thing.

See ----- http://www.therubberflooringcompany.co.uk/filter/product/lis…
Excellent answer by Michelle. I would take a look at wood laminate. Generally more of a "wow" factor for potential tenants and lasts longer. I know a lot of landlords putting laminate in all their rentals. Carpet can get stained, pet odors where you may have to replace often.
Stay away from laminate, it's going to cost you more in the long run. Rental floors get lots of abuse that wears right through that stuff, especially the low quality stuff sold at Costco. If you want wood and plan to hold the property for awhile, get the real thing.
I would think that wood laminate would be the best bet. It can stand up to a lot of wear and tear and is very desirable to most renters.
Also, if you are in a large condo development, having the wood flooring should make your property stand out (in a sea of carpet) to prospective renters.

Hope this helps and congrats on your purchase!