David, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

What is the proper way to serve a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit?

Asked by David, Santa Clara, CA Wed Aug 14, 2013

If I do not use a professional server or 3rd party, do I have to first try and deliver the notice in person or can I just mail it via certified mail? I'm reading differing things online so I'd like to pick the brains of some of the property management professionals here. Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:


Juliana Lee,MBA/LL.B’s answer
Good places to look for information to make your decision are the California government websites. Please see

Dealing with an eviction can be time consuming and emotional. Be sure to consider any alternatives.

Zip code 95051 home values at http://julianalee.com/zip-code/95051-statistics.htm
Zip code 95051 just sold at http://julianalee.com/zip-code/95051-home-sales.htm

Good luck,

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650.857.1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 16, 2013
Hi David,

If you do not know the rules, then trying to save a few dollars could potentially compromise your case and result in your giving the tenant months of free rent. This is one of those penny wise pound foolish situations where attempting to do a job without proper counsel is not worth the potential savings. Contact an attorney or use a proper summons server to ensure that you don't invalidate your collection actions.

By the way, Realtors are not allowed to give legal advice, so please contact your attorney for help. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
As a property management professional who frequently serves 3 day notices, the only advice I can give you is this: consult with an attorney who practices landlord/tenant law in the town where the property is located. The 3 day notice is just the first step in what can be a long and difficult legal process. You need an attorney's guidance on how to get started right.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013

Here is the link to California Landlord Tenant LAW. As advised from the other professionals this is a legal question and we are Realtors/Real Estate Agents, not attorneys.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer