Mia Shin, Real Estate Pro in 90024

What constitutes an offer to lease? Since there is no provision for a counter on the CAR Lease, what is an offer when someone brings an offer?

Asked by Mia Shin, 90024 Fri Mar 29, 2013

I recently was called into an ethics hearing because an aggrieved agent did not get the unit for her client. There were three people who all said they wanted it but, no one produced the right documentation, i.e. a properly written offer, a check, an application and credit report. I specifically told her that she needs to revise the offer and send a check, but she ignored me and then got upset citing I wanted to do my own deal that's why she didn't get a chance. That was not true, we gave her an entire weekend to deliver a signed lease, a cashier's check specifically in the name of the lessor, but she ignored me. Only when it was reported as a sale, she and her client got irate. But an offer without a check in my opinion is not an offer, especially if it's unsigned! I believe there is a grey area when it comes to leases and we need clarification as to what constitutes an offer to lease! Comments?

Answers

3
It seems like you did everything right and everything seems to be the correct procedure and process it should have been done.

Alex Khalilifard | Realtor - General Contractor
BRE License #: 01937591
Listing and Selling Agent
RE/MAX
Alex@TopHomesLA.com
Direct: 818.925.8088
http://www.TopHomesLA.com
You were right in your procedure and process. I would have done the same. I am sure you were acquitted of any wrong doing.
In my area, this is an offer to lease:
You use a Rental Application(CAR form LR) along with the credit application( application to rent, screening) check( deposit ) and current credit report. We often also get a testimonial letter about the tenants for the landlord consideration. If I had the tenant, you would probably have heard from me quite a few times so you would know an offer was coming from me.

I think the real issue might be a lack of training on the part of the buyer agents with regards to leasing, since it's not a big part of the business for some Realtors.