Keith Gilbert, Other/Just Looking in Royal Oak, MI

What are non-homestead property taxes in the city of Portland, zip code 97217?

Asked by Keith Gilbert, Royal Oak, MI Wed Oct 9, 2013

I am new to the area and find the tax code to be very confusing. I am considering buying a rental house, so taxes are key to my business case. I moved here from Detroit, where estimating taxes was very easy (assessed value was 1/2 of the sale price, city had a set rate for homestead and non-homestead). Any assistance is helpful.

Answers

1
No homestead tax base here. Taxes are set almost 6 months before you get the bill that is due november 15 but if a house has not been sold for 20 years or more the taxes will be less than a house sold over and over every 3-4 years in the past 20 years. Portland taxes are not re-adjusted when a housevis sold but every 6 years the city of portland appraiser must drive by and evaluate the house. Portland taxes can also go up 3% a year even if values go down. Multnomah taxes are the highest of the 3 counties. Taxes are about $22 per $1000 of assessed value but
Say a $200000 house might have $3800 in taxes to $4800. This fall home owners will see a $200000 house taxes go up at least 10% with the tax vote to pay for schools. There is no short easy answer. Give me a call if you want to talk about investing. These are just estimates because our tax base is so difficult to explain with out set numbers. Tom inglesby, broker, remax