Ellen T., Other/Just Looking in Bellevue, WA

Real Estate Agent Research Questions

Asked by Ellen T., Bellevue, WA Mon Feb 4, 2013

What percent of home owners search for properties online?
What percent find their properties online?
What percent only use an agent to find properties?

Helen

Answers

6
Hi Helen,

It has been publicized that as high a 90% of buyers use the internet at some point during their buying process. This doesn't mean they find their home while doing an internet search. The point being that technology is becoming an increasingly more important part of the search process.

I'm not sure the answers to your next two questions really exist. I would expect that the percentage of people that actuall find their property on line would be low. From our experience, buyers rarely buy the initial subject property. The real value of being able to access this information online is that buyers and sellers can monitor the market and keep informed about its activity. Being current is very important both as a buyer and as seller.

Contrary to what most would like to believe, the percentage of people still requiring an agent's assistance to identify their future home remains fairly high. It's usually the price and location that first attracts a buyer....beyond this there is a ton of services and percautions that agents provide as part of their service.

Things are changing....and this is good, but the need for a skilled and experienced agent's services remains a constant.

Thank you for your post.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Hi Helen T.,

Percent of home owners who search for properties online: when we combine the internet searches with the searches many agents send to their clients as links, the percentage is in the high 90's.

The percentage that actually buy the property they first saw online shrinks to 37%.

Here is what really happens: people start their search online, then over 87% connect with an agent, usually through a referral from a friend, neighbor, or family member, through a sign call, or by connecting directly through a site like Trulia.

After people connect with an agent, meet with the agent for an Initial Consultation (ideally), get pre-approved (usually with that agent's recommended lender), they start their real property buying experience.

In today's world, with the listing inventory available at all levels of accuracy on a plethora of web sites, it is not relevant to say a person ONLY uses an agent. The internet is now intricately intertwined into they way we brokers work. I have charts to show these statistics and more if you're interested.

I hope this answers your real question.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Hi Helen,
Great questions and a good response by Bill. He is correct in that 90% of Buyers use the internet at some point to search for homes. 79% use it frequently, and 11% occasionally.
What percent find their properties online? 47% found the home they purchased online, while 34% found their home thru their Real Estate Agent.
For your third question, what percent only use an agent to find properties? it goes a bit deeper for an answer. A way to look at it is that if 90% of buyers use the internet then 10% is remaining. The 10% that did not use the internet the breakdown is as follows: 40% used a Real Estate agent, 20% a yard sign, 20% from a friend or relative.
You have struck a cord with me, and I will write a blog post about this today and include an info graphic with further breakdowns. Keep an eye on it at http://jasonecook.com/blog/my-blog
It looks like you are located in Bellevue as I am too. If you would like to know more about the process and our current local market I would be happy to chat with you about it.
thanks,
Jason
206-280-1911
JasonECook@Windermere.com
The agent does not cost you any money. They are paid from the listing commission the seller agrees to pay. You you dont use an agent the money goes to the listing real estate companny and agent.
Aricles for you on your-road-home.com that will help you select an experienced ethical agent. Consultation, Interviewing Real Estate Agents. Stephen Webber
Hi Helen

Most people use everything they can get to because no one explains to them that every property listed by all of the real estate agents are listed in one place, The Northwest MLS. There is an article that will explain on your-road-home.com. One you have access to the Northwest MLS you receive a list of every property for sale and a daily update of the new listings as soon as they hit the market. Your-road -home.com is the information I delivered to over 25,000 home buyers in the Seattle Met Area. The articles are numbered to help you with a step by step process that will serve you well. The list of articles are also listed in the left colum. There is a contact button to the right if you have questions. Good Luck, Stephen Webber
You came to the right place!

90% of buyers use the internet at some point during their buying process. That doesn't mean they find their home while doing an internet search. As you know technology is becoming an increasingly more important part of the search process. Most Buyers who shop online find a Realtor to represent them & help them sift & make sense of all the inventory.

To find the right home at the right price, you have to know the market. As the expert in local neighborhoods, I can provide information tailored for your specific home search.
Here’s a good example: I have the resources to evaluate homes in the neighborhoods where you have an interest. This information will educate you on what prices are being paid for homes similar to the ones you are considering.

I know how important it is to have all the information you need to make the right decision. So please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions about this service or any other part of your home search. Working together, we make sure that you make the right move.

There are many steps in the home buying process. It’s easy to miss something that can add significantly to the cost of your home.
I’m an expert and can help you simplify this process and get the most home for your money. Here’s how:
I can give you a complete picture of the costs so you know how much home you can afford.
I can help you rule out neighborhoods that don’t fit your needs and find new neighborhoods that do.
I can make sure you have the latest alerts on homes that meet your criteria so other buyers don’t beat you to the punch.
I can keep you informed about what’s happening in the local market.
I can give you in-depth details on each home.
I can quickly schedule tours and give you specific information on the advantages and drawbacks of each property
I can also help you craft offers, present offers to sellers, and much more. Contact me at (benis.dawkins@gmail.com) or (206-883-4222) and I can help make the entire process simpler and more cost effective for you. I can help make sure you make the right move.

Give me a call so I can show you around town.

Here's to our success!

Benis Dawkins
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate
Seattle Tacoma Wa
Real Estate Broker
Certified Distress Property Expert
Certified Buyers Agent
206-883-4222