Ghtn2013, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

Is it all right or safe to rent the condo to the tenant(s) with elevated-level or low level count of mold?

Asked by Ghtn2013, Nashville, TN Mon Apr 22, 2013

I was told mold is everywhere, so what is the safe / acceptable mold level?

Found an investment property in Brentwood Pointe. I had home inspection, and mold tests done. Mold inspection report came back with elevated level of mold. Seller will have remediation company to come in and clean the carpet
and HVAC (per remediation company suggested, but no source of mold was identified). However, if mold is still in elevated-level afterwards, Seller will NOT do anymore work. I can either walk away or take it as it is. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!!

Answers

4
Prentiss Holt’s answer
Unless the deal is too good to be true, I would walk away. Rather than cleaning the carpets, the carpets should be replaced, and the source of moisture identified.

If you do not inform future tenants of the possibility of mold in your lease, it can be grounds for suits to be filed if they develop any mold-related problems.

In these cases, I find it important to consider what the potential monetary damage to you would be in the worst, and near-to-worst case scenario. :) Murphy's Law seems particularly attracted to property owners and managers. If you aren't prepared to tackle the worst case, move on until you find better.

That said, investment property in Brentwood and Franklin is not terribly difficult to come by. And if you are willing to go into Nashville proper, investment town homes and condos in Nashville neighborhoods like Hillsboro Village and West End are likely to represent more bang for your buck, thanks to Vanderbilt being only blocks away.

Best of luck, in any case!
Mold litigation is very important for liability reasons. If level are elevated you must disclose.
I'm inclined to agree with Kevin - without eliminating the source of moisture intrusion the mold almost certainly will return.

If you're an investor I'd ask myself - is the deal that good to pass up on?

Imagine that you rent out to a tenant, the mold returns and the tenant gets sick - forget the legal ramifications for a moment and ask if you'd want to have to deal with that scenario?

My one concern is that there is no visible mold - only air test counts. Usually (though not always) if there is mold present then it is in some way visible.

Keep in mind that the source of moisture MAY be from outside the unit and as such COULD fall under the HOA responsibility to fix. If you have a ground level unit perhaps it comes from upstairs but I find it somewhat unusual that neither yourself nor the inspector can identify a "common sense" potential source for the moisture intrusion.

Simon
615 579-7909
No. You have to get the levels within acceptable levels to avoid liability (and harm). I'd suggest that you bring in a remediation company that can source your problem.

Without getting the moisture to stop, you'll likely never have an investment that you can safely improve.

Does that make sense?