Arash, Other/Just Looking in

Is San Rafael, CA a good place for Investment Property?

Asked by Arash, Tue Oct 23, 2012

I am considering buying a property in San Rafael, CA as investment. I was wondering if that is a good decision. I live in San Francisco and work in Marin County and my thinking is that I might some day move to Marin myself. My budget is around $600K. I believe amongst the cities in Marin, San Rafael has more urban feel to eat and is well centrally located. I am tempted to buy a duplex in San Rafael, thinking I might some day live in one unit and rent the other one.
1. Would you recommend San Rafael for a rental/investment property?
Pros and Cons?
2. Which areas of the city would you recommend to focus on, or stay away from?
3. Which other areas of Marin would you recommend to consider?
4. Is the duplex a good idea from an investment point of view? Pros and cons?
Thank you

Answers

5
Matthew Thomas’ answer
Hello Arash,

I am an agent with Bradley Real Estate in San Rafael, and also a native of San Rafael. As Miguel said below, because of the low interest rates and rising rents, now is a strategically opportune time to purchase investment properties in Marin and elsewhere. There are some areas of Marin that are better for investment because of the school districts within which properties are located. San Rafael is a good area, and there are some areas of San Rafael that are preferential to others.

My background in working in the financial markets in San Francisco, accompanied by my over 10 years of real estate experience, as well as investing in properties myself and with joint ventures, gives my clients a unique insight and expertise into the investment property arena.

Please call me to discuss your needs and goals.

Matthew Thomas
Bradley Real Estate
415-342-7293 -Cell
415-721-2528 - Office
matt@bradleyrealestate.com
http://www.mattsellsmarin.com
Hi Arash:

I have worked with a number of clients that have purchased investment properties in Marin. Rents have been rising rapidly. When that is combined with historically low interest rates you have a situation that is very favorable to the investor particularly when investing in single family dwellings. There are not many duplex's for sale in Marin, and those that are for sale are expensive. The key to a good real estate investment is to find the right combination of purchase price per foot and monthly rental dollars per foot. In many markets its not uncommon to rent properties in the $2 per square foot per month or more.

I would be happy to discuss all of this in more detail.

Please call or email me.

Jaime
Hi Arash,

It is a great time to purchase an income property. The last three years has been a recovering market and now it has stabilized. Sales are up 21% here. Big factor is the historically low interest rates. As these rates keep lowering I have seen the prices of rents rising. You are smart to take advantage of the income potential that you will have. In your price range I'm seeing homes with estimated annual net income of about $32,000.00. Call me directly or email me and I will share my own personal experince in owning income property, being a land lord, hiring a leasing co, and getting the most return for your investment.

Direct 415-233-3235
email mparedes@fhallen.com

" Miguel doesn't look for great deals, he creates them!"
Arash,

As Lance said it is a longer answer but I have been working with clients looking for the same things.
We just purchased a duplex in Santa Rosa, $310000 with $28600 in income. The numbers work very well moving up into Sonoma county, as we are also in contract on a triplex with $46800 income, with an asking price in the $400s, so the income is strong. I would be happy to give you more insight on these and discuss Marin vs Sonoma.. If you have $600K you can get alot for your investment.
Dino Wilson
Alain Pinel 415-215-2614
Arash,

The answer to your questions is too long and involved to into in this forum. The short answer is any place is good to invest if the numbers and neighborhood factors support it. If you would like a more detailed response, we work in San Rafael and have lots of experience with multi-unit buildings and contact info is below.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425