Michael R. S…, Home Buyer in 94598

Investment property still viable in Antioch?

Asked by Michael R. Sayre, 94598 Sun Apr 28, 2013

I currently own two homes (rental properties) in the 94531 zip code and have been thinking of purchasing more this year. However, as far as I can tell supply just isn't what it used to be, and prices seem to have gone up. I only look in the 94531 area as it's decently safe and Antioch always seemed to have priced that were well suited for investment properties. Does anyone think it will get better, or is Antioch becoming too pricey?

Answers

3
Ron Thomas’ answer
Antioch and Pittsburg are about the only two "reasonable" areas in the Bay Area:
If you choose to see them as expensive, then you're in the wrong game.
And if you think that this is a short term game......
Umm, not sure where I said it was "expensive" or that I was "short term" in my question...
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Just run your numbers. This is a simple formula to use to see your rate of return. Of course you need to adjust for potential repairs/vacancy.

Gross rental yield = Annual rental income (weekly rental income x 52) / property value* x 100
Hi Michael,

There are other options in the greater bay area, other than Antioch. Supply in the Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood areas have gone down significantly. Prices have shot up, although still much lower than the peak in 2006. Antioch has the benefit of the e-Bart which will be completed in 2015.

However, there are other areas, which are still lower than Antioch, but still offer reasonably priced newer homes, that have appreciation potential, while minimizing the maintenance issues related to rentals. Please contact me for further information.

James Tan
916 230 55250