John, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

I am looking to buy a multifamily property to rent. I have some questions: – Besides the factor of the price, is it better a tree or four families?

Asked by John, Bronx, NY Thu Aug 30, 2012

– What is the best area to look? My first idea was Brooklyn but I am not sure where I can get more return for the investment. I am looking to spend not more than $700,000.
Is there any easy rule of thumb to analyze the numbers to find out if it makes financial sense after adding all the expenses and guess the estimated rent?

Thanks!

John

Answers

4
Dear John:

You need to find out the rent roll and then subtract the operating expenses to find out the Net Operating Income (NOI). After that you need to calculate the Capitalization Rate (Cap Rate) which is the net operating income divided by the price you pay. As an example, if the NOI is $50,000.00 per year and the price you pay is $500,000.00, the Cap Rate will be 10%. This means you will get back via income one tenth of the price you paid every year. After ten years you will get back all your money and then as you move forward beyond that, the rest is gravy.

Here is a more detailed break down of the Cap Rate and how it works on Wikipedia.org:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization_rate

Keep in mind that if you do not purchase all cash and will be securing a mortgage, the cost of financing can have a dramatic effect on the Cap Rate. If that is the case, you simply have to ask yourself how much of a positive cash flow you need to make the deal worth while for you.

Whether it is a three or four family doesn't make much of a difference, here are some things you should consider:

1) Do extensive research in the area to make sure you know average rental rates in the area.

2) If there are existing tenants that you are considering keeping, make sure they have a lease and that you receive proof that they have been paying their rent and on time.

3) You want to see proof of expense amounts such as insurance, real estate taxes, water bills, etc.

By the way, I have some good income producing properties actively listed with me for sale that may be good for you. If you want to talk about them or if I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
The fastest movement in Brooklyn real estate would be in the Brooklyn area, Crown Heights.
Read:

The Wall Street Journal about the building of business on Franklin Ave.

http://ilovefranklinave.blogspot.com/2012/04/wsj-brownstoner…

New York Times article on the fast building on Franklin Avenue

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/nyregion/in-crown-heights-…

Facts don't lie.
If you are a serious ivestor, give me a call.

Luke Constantino
Commercial | Residential
REMAX PARK SLOPE
Direct: (212) 300-3919
Lukeconstantino@remax.net
http://LukeConstantino.com
Hi John,

I would be more than happy to answer all your questions regarding whether to purchase a 3 or 4 family, location and rule of thumb in purchasing and most importantly how to get the best return on your dollar as that is the key to investing.

Call me at 646-773-8347 or send me an email with your contact information and a convienant time to reach you and we can began the process.

Coffy Bailey
Exit Realty Power
646-773-8347
Coffy@exitrealtypower.com
Are you buying with cash or financing? Makes a huge difference. What rate will you get if financing? What will be your payoff? Figure in taxes. What will your payments be? Back into the purchase price.

We have a 3-Family available in the Bronx on a short sale if you are interested in pursuing further.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150