Second, these are not red flags. Red flags are signals of potential problems like seeing a messy front yard. These are actual problems with actual cost figures. Since you know how much it will cost to fix, then you should definitely close if the price is good. For a home in Santa Monica, $9K is a relatively trivial amount in this competitive market.
Your Realtor is very likely giving you good advice. The decision is ultimately up to you.
If you getting a great deal and saving more money than these repairs will cost you, than you can always fix everything later yourself ( in a way it is better, as you will be able to choose your own contractors and make sure they are doing a great job).
In case contract price is the same as other properties on the market in good shape with no repairs needed - that you may want to ask seller to credit you for repairs or consider other options.
Either way it is best to express your concerns to your realtor.
FREE Consultation - Please call now: 424-777-9377
Should you have any questions - please do not hesitate to call me Toll Free 1-855-TRUST-55 ext.777 ( 1-855-878-7855 ext.777).
Trust Sale Realty
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55ext. 777
Toll free: 1-855-878-7855 ext. 777
* We Hire California Licensed Realtors - 100% Commission!
The first question I would want answered is why is your agent pushing so hard? They should have a great and immediate answer for you. If they don't...
With that being said you still need to feel comfortable with your purchase. Don't let anyone pressure.
The only way I would be pressuring you as your agent is if I knew you were buying the house as a smoking deal considering the repairs that need to be done. Otherwise I would say back out. I rather loose a deal than a client.
First, check your purchase agreement to see how much time after your inspection that is allowed for you to back out of the agreement without penalty. There should be verbage that addresses this. Secondly, as other have recommended, requesting for repairs to the seller should help you understand where you stand.
You are correct in questioning the direction this is going but be sure that you understand exactly what needs to be done and what the numbers are that are associated with these repairs. It sounds like there may be some uncertainty. Pulling numbers out of the sky won't work.....getting involved with contractors that can deal with the specifics and document this for you will be huge.
getting nervous is totally understandable and happens all the time. i'm not certain of the age of the home but assuming 30+ years and will have issues. . . . every home does. these are not red flags in my opinion just issues to be addressed. its not clear to me whether or not you've had certain inspections related to those specific issues or just a general inspection that discovered them but if you haven't had specialists for each related issue i would highly advise it. this is your time to do your due diligence and learn all you can about the property. i would get quotes for anything that needs repair and request whats realistic from the seller in order for you to feel good about the purchase and move forward. depending on the sellers reponse to your request you would then have to decide if what you are paying for the property along with the remaining repairs that the seller may not cover is worth it to you but thats not the bottom line in making your decision either. other points to consider are that in some area's its a sellers market due to low inventories so the competition can be tough; if you have a great mortgage rate compared to where it may be now; location of the property, comps for like properties because the offering price may have already been adjusted due to the condition; but these are all things that you should be speaking with your realtor about so that you are informed and feel good about the purchase no matter what issues come up and then whether or not to proceed should be an easier decision for you.
i wish you the best and hope that you enjoy your new property whether it be this one or another.
Have you had a general physicsl indpection of the property? I would recommend that you extend your investigation period and hire a plumber and hvac specialist to give you an estimate to correct the issues you are facing. If the repairs you are limited to the items you are speaking of and you really like the other aspects of the house then negotiate the best credit you can and make the repairs. On the other hand if the property has further issues that effect the structural integrity or are cost prohibitive then you should consider other options for purchase.
Without seeing the whole pIcture it is difficult to be definitive about my recommendation.
Coldwell Banker, Brentwood
Good luck.... I do know a contractor if you decide to go through with it.