Travis Baker, Home Owner in Tampa, FL

I am a new landlord and have a tenant that has backed out after nine months. Any advice you have would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Asked by Travis Baker, Tampa, FL Fri Dec 14, 2012

Answers

5
I'm an agent and landlord in Indiana, so I'm sure the landlord tenant laws differ some. In Indiana, it is quite easy to evict someone if needed. When you say they backed out, did they stop paying rent, move out already? Depending on the details, it is probably best to consult an attorney. I have had to complete two evictions and it's quite easy in Indiana, just have to take the time to file the paperwork with the court. I did both without an attorney, got my judgements for rent owed, late fees, damage to property, etc. I also got wage garnishments set up and got the money owed to me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
You may want to consult a real estate attorney. Or you can see if you can find an answer in the Florida Landlord and Tenant Laws at http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
You may want to consult a real estate attorney. Of you can see if you can find an answer in the Florida Landlord and Tenant Laws at http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Everything will depend upon what is on the contract the parties have agreed to . I am assuming that you have a contract with the tenant. From this point on, your absolute best bet is to contact a real estate attorney as they will be able to guide you in the direction you need. Anything that we (us Realtors) post here will be basic information that might not apply to your case because you could have clauses in your contract that could trump basic customary measures. You can usually find yourself a real estate attorney that would be happy to answer questions for free while at the same time to building a relationship with you in hopes for your future business for their time spared time. Good luck!
I agree with Shain. At this point you need legal advice, which we cannot provide.