KT, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

Demolition of Mobile Home - rebuild a modular home or sell the land

Asked by KT, Seattle, WA Tue Feb 5, 2013

I own a piece of land that has a pre-1970 mobile home on it. I'd like to sell, but because you can't get financing for the mobile, I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. The land has septic and power. What are my options here? Construction loan to demo the old trailer and put a modular home on it? Demo the trailer and sell the land?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Answers

5
Hi KT,

In general, you obviously the mobile home needs to be removed from the land. There may be a company that will remove it for a lesser fee for the scrap value. Being built before 1970, there is hazardous waste mitigation. I would suggest you find a company through Bing or Google. 1-800-got-junk may be able to point you in the right direction.

I would not put a modular home on it, but would sell the vacant land. The vacant land has more value than the land with the mobile home on it, because removing the mobile home is a cost. You could list the home with the mobile on it and discount the price accordingly. Then the new buyer, who may have better resources to handle the mobile home, can take care of the problem.

Or, if you have the resources, build on the land and then sell the improved property. What you build depends on the neighborhood comparable properties and zoning.

If you don't have the resources to build, but have the resources to remove the mobile home, do that first, because it will improve the sales price of the land.

i have worked a lot with developers, investors and builders and would be happy to answer any questions you have, including determing the value of the land. Or depending on the location, I may have a potential buyer.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Hi KT,

It may be wise to hire a knoweldgable appraiser to do an appraisal for you to determine your property's highest and best use before making your decision. The land may be worth more without the mobile home or it may not, and there are So many other factors to take into consideration which a good appraiser will look at during his/her process. Find out if you don't already know what the zoning is for your property, and that could help you decide what to do with the property as well.

Michael Copeland
Vacant land for development is in demand in 2013. If the land can accommodate more than one residence, then you'd be wise to demolish the trailer and list the land for sale as a development site. The existing septic is likely older and would be of negligible value ---unless you could hook up the existing septic to another mobile or modular home. In the greater-Seattle area, mobile and modular homes are less desirable than 'stick built' homes, so I would not recommend you remove the old mobile home, only to replace it with a newer mobile home. The value is in the land, and the price will be determined by the number of lots that can be configured on the site. Get in touch with your Realtor and they can help you price the property correctly for the market. Good luck.
I know builders who are looking for land, and having septic and power already in can be a huge selling point. Demolishing an existing structure can be costly, but a mobile would cost less to remove than many other structures. A great deal depends on where the land is located.
It is true that having septic and power is a draw for building on a piece of property. It sounds like demolishing the mobile home is definitely the right first step. Once you get that out of the way, you'll probably have a better idea of what to do next.
http://www.honcdestruction.com/
Flag Fri Nov 14, 2014
Your options are wide open. You can sell the land for the value of the land only. Or you can build a home on it or put a new modular home on it. A lot depends on the neighborhood & what is already around you. If you want to discuss options, feel free to call me on my cell below. I am both a real estate broker & a loan officer and have been doing them for a long time.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction