Carlos Carba…, Both Buyer and Seller in San Francisco, CA

Cost to build a 4-plex

Asked by Carlos Carbajal, San Francisco, CA Sat Jun 2, 2012

I am thinking of buying a plot of land already zoned for multi unit and putting up a basic 4-plex of 2 bed/1 ba units.

Does anyone have a rough idea of what this would cost to build? Can it be done for $400K or less? Are there modular construction options?

Answers

6
If you intend to occupy one of the units (for at least 12 months) you can actually build one with 3.5% down (of the total project cost including the land). Feel free to email if this would be helpful for your scenario: dan.frey@sunamerican.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 20, 2014
I am thinking of doing the same thing in Davenport, Florida. I am a veteran and I would want to use my VA eligibility as permanent financing. I do intend to live in one of the units. I have identified the land but have not made any moves to buy it yet. I am at: isaa@usa.com. I would appreciate any information you can provide as I am just beginning to work on this.
Flag Thu Jun 25, 2015
Can you tell me more about this Dan?
Flag Mon Feb 16, 2015
Yes, depending who you get, I would say 500k.
http://cuttingedgehomes.net/t/plan-collections/?cat=multi-fa…

I would check out prefab/manufactured home.
Cost about $50sq/ft top + $30-40sq/ft(prep sitebuild/foundation)= ~$100sq/ft.(land not included)
so if ea unit is 1000sqft x 4plex = 4000sqft x ~$100sq/ft = $400k

Contractors cost for presite build work varies: eg. concrete foundation.
A reasonable quote would be around 30-40% of the prefab building cost = ~40% x $50sq/ft = $20sq/ft
I haven't done the math here But I figure it's gotta be cheaper to buy 1 and fix it up then it is to build right now in this market. Granted there isn a lot on the market to look at right now
There is no one answer here

Guess anything is possible --- but where are you building, what is the cost of the land, what are you building, what finishes are you selecting, etc. Are you prepared to devote time managing the construction project and be the general contractor?

While you're mulling over your decision, perhaps you should visit Remodeling Online'st Cost vs Value --- cost of remodeling and how much you can expect to recoup.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2011/costvsvalue/division/pacif…