Bea, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

As an investor in Detroit property, is it wise to put plastic pipes in rental property?

Asked by Bea, Detroit, MI Mon Mar 10, 2014

It looks flimsy like it could burst or break easily. I'm told copper piping gets stolen as soon as house is vacant. I want plumbing that looks good and will last. What other choices are out there? My plumber is suggesting plastic red and blue pipes which look awful and cheap. House is about 75 years old.

Answers

6
Pex plumbing is a low cost plumbing solution to the theft of copper plumbing. Pex plumbing also has ability expand which will lower the risk of the pipes bursting. Pex is not the most attractive to look at but it will get the job done If this property is a rental I would not waste the money on cooper plumbing. You can save the money and put in into other parts of the home. You want to put the money where you will get the biggest return on your investments, which is kitchens and bathrooms.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2014
Like others have said, pex is a popular, relatively low cost alternative to copper with little/no resale value in the event of a breakin or theft. It does use the blue and red -- obviously color coded for easy identifcation. It's also burst/freeze resistant, so in the event of a power outage or your tenants don't keep the gas/electric on, you have an added later of protection.

As always, have these installed by a licensed professional.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2014
Plastic pipe can't stolen and resold, also, it is just as good as copper, I have been using 'pex' in all of our new contracts...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2014
Bea,
Plastic that is approved for plumbing in the areas you'll be using it should be fine. Just make certain that it is approved, especially if it runs in any unheated spaces like a crawlspace or garage.
If you're using a licensed plumber ask him to refer you to the manufactures site where you can research the product and satisfy your concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2014
this is a no brainer, can't tell u how many times I've seen copper taken out of houses.
Pex - only way to go.
Thank you all for your answers. I feel better about it now.